A tuning theory I have

I'm just debating but at £20 a set, it's a little bit too expensive to experiment.

Very good thread Bo!

Thanks. It had been bugging me why we have so many tuning threads here and we all tend to say the same thing. I wanted to look at it from the root of the issue, if it is indeed, the root of the issue. Who knows? If it gets people thinking about spending the time to really work on it, like everything we do in drumming takes time and dedication, then maybe it'll work.

BTW - I think MFB and Davo should try the Tony Levin trick of putting a disposable diaper under the strings at the bridge position. You'll get bottom end like you've never heard before. He did it on Peter Gabriel's Don't Give Up on the So album.

Thanks. It had been bugging me why we have so many tuning threads here and we all tend to say the same thing. I wanted to look at it from the root of the issue, if it is indeed, the root of the issue. Who knows?

Bo, what's usually said is tune to the drum, whatever tuning does the most to get it to sing? If you have a pre-determined sound then isn't that imposing a sound on a drum that may be more resonant with a tune-to-the-drum approach?

I really like your tom sounds, so your approach works. I'm just talking in theory.

Back