Setup times

Where I usually play, when there's more than one band playing, the most common practise is to share a kit and just bring your own snare and cymbals, which makes things easier on everyone.

10 or 15 minutes is changeover time for those gigs. some festivals i've seen 5 minute changeovers, but they have a crew of engineers on to help you out, and backline supplied.

Besides accounting for load-in time and un-casing time, you should probably also keep in mind the time necessary for miking the kit -- after it's set up, but before the start time (assuming you're not able to do a pre-gig sound check). If you're doing your own mics and connections, it might be an additional 10-15 minutes for close miking. If a sound person is doing it, it'll probably be faster, but still needed.

So if you're trying to calculate how far in advance you need to arrive for the setup, you've got parking, loading in, unpacking, setting up, and miking. I'd allow at least an hour, probably more.

If it's an outdoor gig where I can pull up to the tent, or an indoor where it's a short walk to the stage, about 5 minutes.

Put cymbals in a case.
Put everything in the van just as it is.
Pull up, pull it out of the van and set it down.
Add cymbals.
Start noodling to annoy the others.

Im fortunate that my band has access to a covered work trailer, so i can keep all my stands the way they are, and my drums mostly set up.

At our last gig, 8 drums and 11 cmbals took about 15 mins to set up, add in about 5 mins sitting behind the kit and moving the odd thing.

Before we had the trailer, i would show up 45 mins early, and ill set up what i can on the floor or back stage, ill put cymbals on stands, get my floor toms set up, put my mounted toms on their respective stands .etc so its about 15 mins just putting things into place. I also used to have a big piece of carpet with tape where the bass drum/pedals stands went to speed things up a bit.

15 minutes from loading out of my car to stashing the cases, provided the distance from my car to the stage is "normal". This doesn't mean that I don't arrive an hour earlier than I have to be there for soundcheck...I allow extra time for traffic, difficult load ins, or even possibly a wrong venue address (it HAS happened...). Plus, I like a little time to decompress before actually playing, have a drink, mingle with the crowd, whatever...

All in all, and there are people who know way better than i do on this forum, but in most gigs, at least on a non "pro" level i would say that 15 mins is the typical "expected" set up time between bands

Back