The switch between electric and acoustic.

I experienced this every week. I have a low end Roland e-kit at home. I usually play after 11pm at night (wife and 2 kids under 5). Before my 2nd daughter was here I took lessons. They had an acoustic kit. I'd practice 2hrs per night, nail my "homework", go to my lesson...and feel like I hadn't played at all. It was very frustrating...but the feel was different. I think more experienced players can overcome this...but IMO a beginner needs equipment consistency to develop solid technique. I'm hoping to scrounge up $$ and get me an acoustic kit one of these days.

As far as ear protection goes...check out etymotic ear plugs. I know some that have them, and they are great. Custom fit to your ear. They cost you about $300, but your ears and hearing are worth that, right?

For soundproofing, egg crates don't do much. Also, do you really need sound "proof" or just good dampening? Big difference in cost...drywall is a very good dampening material and relatively cheap. I'm considering building a small square "room" in my garage...I don't need it to be "proof", low TV volume works for me...

Yep similar experience here, except not as profound as I was going between electric and acoustic fairly often. I was surprised as it was a top of the range electric kit with mesh heads. I sold it eventually and sound-proofed a room instead and stuck my acoustic in it, and never looked back.

I'd def love t hear more about how you soundproofed! Thanks in advance!

I'd say I have the oppsite problem. Sometimes at school when we "perform" a few songs in groups that the teachers made up I have to do it on a TD-20 and I can't say I do anything but hate it.

We did Breaking the Law in 3/4, power ballad and on the XS20 cymbals and the old Stage Custom it sounded terrific with the 1 on the kick and 2 + 3 on the high-hat. As soon as I started on the TD-20 it sounded like crap...

Anyways, Paiste 2002 are according to me one of the most versatile cymbals ones you need something a bit louder. For the snare I'd recommend to really find your style before buying it, you'd probably change your mind about the snare sound in a near future.

I did a huge thread on this topic a little bit back. Look it up there is a ton of information there. It was a pretty big thread with plenty of opinions.

I think the thread was called the dangers of going from elec to acoustic

Joe

Back