Must share again...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey everybody,

As I prep to go off for my opening day in the new show (do a YouTube search for 'Disney Soundsational' to see what it's all about - you can guess what role I play), I couldn't stop thinking about this piece of music. Included here is a copying assignment I did of it in college (not a transcription - I'm not that good) plus the .mp3 of what it sounds like. The sheet music is just of the lead line.

All you guys studying, see if you can't read through this. It's a popular piece of drum music by Frank Zappa. When I get back home tonight there'll be a short quiz ;)

Have fun!

Attachments

• Black Page #1.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 131
  • BlackPageTranscription.pdf
    366.9 KB · Views: 242
I took one look at the pdf and closed the window.
No thank you :p

I had to laugh when I saw what you had posted. I am a percussion student at the University of Montana, and the percussion ensemble just finished up a concert that featured Zappa. In addition to the Black Page we performed Montana, G-Spot Tornado, and one other tune that I seemed to have forgotten the name of. We did part two of the Black Page, which featured and extended drum solo by our guest artist/alum Brain Oppel. I didnt actually play on the piece but I remember looking at the mallet parts and cringing... Pretty crazy stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Good! At least a couple of you looked at the .pdf! I was just fascinated with the piece and copied it out just to test my music copying skills (this was back in the days before Finale when people did things by hand with rulers and pens - actually got a gig copying music because of it). I think I like this recorded melody better than hearing someone like Terry Bozzio play it on the drums. The recording was actually one of those old Soundsheet thingys they used to put in magazines. This one came from Keyboard magazine (I think in 1987) and it featured Frank and his new toy, the Synclavier. He had also just released an album of trios and quartets under the name of Francesco Zappa using the Synclavier exclusively. I almost wish someone would re-record those pieces with an actual string trio or quartet!

It's funny though. The Black Page is like Jojo Mayer's Nerve: some people love it, others absolutely hate it. There is no middle ground. Go figure. One day I'll be able to just play the rhythms correctly....

It was funny that on a show day I was listening to this piece. It sure made everything I did on my gig seem so....small..... ;)

I'm not a Zappa aficionado, but that's not a drum part. (Treble clef, accidentals, etc.) What am I missing, here? Is The Black Page a song that features drums, but isn't a drum solo? I'd like to see the drum transcription.

I'm not a Zappa aficionado, but that's not a drum part. (Treble clef, accidentals, etc.) What am I missing, here? Is The Black Page a song that features drums, but isn't a drum solo? I'd like to see the drum transcription.

Not sure if Frank came up with the melody first or after, but I believe there's a recording of the whole band playing the piece, so I would think he conceived of it as a song first, then turned Bozzio loose on it. Anyone out there know for sure? I mainly posted it here so people could read the rhythms and attempt to play it.

You could always make it your own and interpret it however you feel.

Bleh! I've seen some music before, but that's nasty! I kinda had a grip on it, but the larger triplets spread out through the sheets lost me...

Hey Bo, my son was at Disneyland over the weekend and informed me that Mickey "must be a real drummer" in the parade...are you "Mousing" around?

In the first paragraph, Bo said 'the sheet music is just the lead line'. Easy to miss.

That was the first time I had ever seen elevens on a sheet of music.

I think you broke my brain, Bo.

That was the first time I had ever seen elevens on a sheet of music.

I think you broke my brain, Bo.

Don't blame me! You can all thank Frank Zappa for having this absurd music idea. And then that Terry Bozzio guy for actually executing it for him. Perhaps upping the bar on what composers can expect drummers to be able to read?

Yeah. Right.

Vinnie Colauita sight read it and played it right.

Back