"Pies"?

Aussies don't tend to sweat this stuff. If everyone understands each other, mission accomplished. I'm curious - why does the use of these terms bother people?

I've often wondered the same thing, Pol. Sometimes I am genuinely surprised at the things that bother our Yankee drumming brothers and sisters.

They say we're a laid back mob....perhaps we should care more?? Nah...hang that. Fly your pies over your hats and next to the kick and rack tom and be done with it. Leaves more time to stand at the bar!! :)

I've often wondered the same thing, Pol. Sometimes I am genuinely surprised at the things that bother our Yankee drumming brothers and sisters.

They say we're a laid back mob....perhaps we should care more?? Nah...hang that. Fly your pies over your hats and next to the kick and rack tom and be done with it. Leaves more time to stand at the bar!! :)

I reckon (a higher proportion of) Yanks just like getting excited and use any excuse :)

We're not as laid back as we used to be. The news blogs are chockas with trolls bellyaching about everything ... as though we've got it bad ... I think that international neuroses are contagious!

I find Americans are often very formal as compared with Australians. As a Yank friend once pointed out, Aussies like to shorten everything to one syllable and add "ie" or "o" to the end.

Aussies don't tend to sweat this stuff. If everyone understands each other, mission accomplished. I'm curious - why does the use of these terms bother people?

But Stalwart and PQleyR are not Americans. They're both from the UK.

I don't care. I got my first job working in a drum shop at 17, and was immediately barraged by crazy terminology by the older folks who used terms very different from the terms I was reading about in Modern Drummer.

I remember the first time a guy came in and asked about sock cymbals, another looking for skins, etc. I quickly realized it is what ever the customer calls it!

Although I've not heard so many people refer to cymbals as pies until I started hanging out on this forum.

But Stalwart and PQleyR are not Americans. They're both from the UK.

But PQ wasn't steamed about it, just curious ... and anyway, Yanks have always claimed than Posm were overly foral :)

Although I've not heard so many people refer to cymbals as pies until I started hanging out on this forum.

I'd never heard it before until Stan and Bob started saying it. I thought it was fun term so I followed suit ... and now I realise that by doing so I was putting some people in a rage!

Personally, I find it funny when people call each other "man" here. I never hear that in real life. It doesn't offend me at all, though. It's just 1960s hipspeak and it seems to facilitate some kind of bromance bonding, which IMO is far preferable to people trying to tear out each others' cyber jugulars :)

I'd actually never heard it prior to DW. Tubs might have been a new one too.....no-one in my circles ever spoke of their 'tubs" or "pies".....however, rack toms and kicks were certainly par for the course.

But there's been some gems.....never heard "woodshedding" before joining the boards. Love that term. I think I now secretly look for excuses to throw it out there.

Last edited:
I'd actually never heard it prior to DW. Tubs might have been a new one too.....no-one in my circles ever spoke of their 'tubs" or "pies".....however, rack toms and kicks were certainly par for the course.

But there's been some gems.....never heard "woodshedding" before joining the boards. Love that term. I think I now secretly look for excuses to throw it out there.

Me too. I didn't know any of the terms apart from rack & kick. I came here after a decade of not playing and prior to that I only ever hung out with with non-drummers, since they were the the people I was playing music with. In the 80s I only knew two other drummers, and in a "Hi how ya going" kind of way.

This board's been a revelation for me after all those years hanging out with people who didn't really understand. I feel like a dog who's always hung out with humans and suddenly walked into a kennel - there's been a lotta bums to sniff :)

Back