ADVICE ON STUDYING ABROAD

FunkdoctaPhil

Hey all,

I'm a 21yr old drummer from New Zealand and i'm trying to suss out a place to study next year. I've already done a 2year diploma of music performance at a local music school and through that have made many contacts and friends who I have been playing with over the years since. But now it's time to get out and explore the world and expand my career.

I had originally planned to study at DrumTech in London in oct 2011. I remotely auditioned and got accepted to the one-year master performance course, and then about 3-4 months later I mailed off my enrolment form. BUT (here's the sucky part!) during that period the school undertook new management who decided to remove the M.P. course!! I'm quite annoyed because after I nailed the audition I was really excited and bought books about London and told everyone i was going etc. :( DrumTech weren't very communicative and couldn't even give me a reason for removing the course.

Now the only other options if I still want to study there are:
-to do the one-year higher diploma (the pre-course to the master performance course :p)
-or do a three-year BA mus, which at £7500 ($16500 NZ) per year is pretty unrealistic for me..

THERE GOES THAT PLAN..

Now i'm basically looking for another school to study at. I have looked into the usual Berklee, Musicians Institute, Drummers Collective in the U.S. so far. They look like fantastic schools but are simply unaffordable unless I win the lottery!

I would really love some advice from you guys! Where are some great places to study? It can be anywhere in the world as long as it is in a place with a big healthy music industry to get amongst! Part of my reason for going to study abroad is not only to learn from some great people but also to make contacts and get into a bigger music scene with more opportunities. So location will play a relatively big part in where I go!

Thanks,

Phil Peters

p.s. Is Atlanta Institute of Music any good?

Hi Phil, firstly I have to say, I'm really sorry I cannot provide any answers for you. However, I'm at the exact situation as you, so I thought maybe I could have your kindness to 'share' this post for advices.

I'm also planning to go to the U.S., more specifically L.A. next year fall. Musician Institute has always been my first choice but the tuition fee and living cost is horrific. I can just barely support myself to take on the certificate programme, but idealy I would really like to take the Associate Degree. Then I randomly came across this school called California College of Music (CCM), located in Pasadena. Their fees are so much lower than other 'branded' music schools.

So would like to see if anyone has heard anything about CCM?

Thanks in advance!!!

Back