Drum Wrap that Goes Over Old Wrap?

It's worth noting that I've not seen this product and can't comment on it specifically, but I wouldn't wrap over an existing wrap. Personally, I'd spend half an hour removing what's there already, give the shells a light sand and then re-wrap.

Will it increase the value? Yeah, perhaps you could possibly scrape a few extra bucks out of the sale......don't expect it to add a heap to the deal though. An astute buyer would be more concerned with the overall condition of the shells and bearing edges. If you're doing this purely for a sale, I doubt I'd bother unless what's there already is completely shot. How bad is the existing wrap?

My kit is a classic cantibile session pro ( only sold in germany) The condision is ok, but the wrap when i got it wasnt put on well, and its i little wrinkly on the bass. If there is a way to fix the wrinkles then i would be fine

This is a very thin product. BUt you have to be careful wrapping over a wrap so as not to make the drum larger and the heads not fitting.

My advice on this eBay stuff is :

NO! DON'T DO IT!

The sparkle on the good stuff is actual glitter flakes.

THIS eBay inked stuff is just very thin sticker type material. NOT durable.
Looks very cheap-o in person. Save your money. I have a sample of the stuff on the Tangerine kit ( and a bunch of other colors) in the link and it's awfully cheap-ass looking stuff IMO.

If someone was intent on using this kind of thing to re-cover a kit, the stuff to use is this:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/sparkle-brite-glitter-film/

Not hard to apply, but you need a good size area to work in.
Not expensive either, however, don't expect to ever take it off and use the kit in it's original finish again.
Once this stuff is on, it's on.

Sparkle Brite is thin enough to place on the original wrap to the edge of the drum and not have the head interfere with it, but it's thick enough to be fairly durable.
It'd need about as much care as a satin finish.

I did quite a few drums in this, and they looked great, but I'd never do it again.

I grew to REALLY not like the Silver Sparkle look (for me), so I had them re-wrapped in Black Glass Glitter last year. The SS looked great, and REALLY sparkled, but it wasn't for me at all.

Incidentally, the Red Sparkle (from the Blick link) looks just like regular Red Sparkle wrap.
I have a Red Sparkle wrap kit, and I sometimes don't use my bass drum ride cymbal mount. When I don't, I use some cut out circles of RS Sparkle Brite to cover the holes. It blends pretty much perfectly.

If someone didn't want a permanent cover, I'd use something from Rocken Wraps, or one of those companies.

Another vote for ..... Don't Do It !!! If you want to sell your drums, sell them "as is". Black is a very popular color. Your chances of selling a black kit, better than selling a Tangerine kit.​
If you're gonna keep your kit, then do a proper re-finish on it.​

ok wont, the reason i want to rewrap my kit is because the old kit is wrinkly, i wish there is a way to fix that

Sounds like there is nothing wrong with re wrapping your kit if you follow 3 golden rules (especially if the old wrap is wrinkled and worn).

1- Remove the old wrap and glue or any inperfections (need a smooth surface or gonna get more wrinkles).

2- Use the good wrap and not the cheapo stuff (measure, cut and glue properly).

3- Go into it knowing it will be permanent so pick the right color (no trendy or extreme colors. Pick something timeless).

I'd go for it if you can do these three things.

I guess this is more than three things...You get the picture. ; ]

Just an FYI. Look on ebay at some of the "restored"vintage drum kits being sold and what the asking prices are and then,look at the original kits with no extra holes and proper hardware ,and original finish .You will notice that original stuff will sell for twice as much ,if not more.Do NOT alter you drums in ANY way in an effort to make them "better".As soon as you do..you WILL cut the resale value in half.Unless they are orphans or if the wrap is really destroyed,keep them original.Nobody thought that the drums they were using in the 60's as an example would be worth so much today as vintage drums.Sonor drums which were and are made in Germany bring hefty prices on the vintage market.

So only recover if you must,and always remember you will NOT increase the value of your kit by altering it in any way.Its the same as refinishing your basement and expecting a big return on your money...NOT going to happen.

Drummers don't let drummers drill holes,or rewrap if it can be avoided,.but they are your drums ,do what you want.rant over

Steve B

Back