Sticks For Practice

Then here's something I want to add:

I'm talking about the part in bold. I mean, this is still true today. For example, Simon Phillips doesn't wear hearing protection. He talks about why he doesn't use it in this video starting at 7:56:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/simonphillipsdrumdepartment.html

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to tell Simon Phillips that there are no safe drumming levels for our ears.

OK. You're right. Drum without protection. Better yet, let's tell everybody to do it. After all, if Mr. Phillips did it, it must be advisable.

Oh, and now that I think about it, my grandma has smoked 20+ cigarrettes every day for 45 years and counting, and she isn't dead. She doesn't recommend people to do it, but maybe she should start.

I'm done answering nonsense and killing the thread.

If we can get back on track ... I would like to challenge the "lighter sticks = lower volume" equation.

If you get used to Fusions, as I have, and you are able play at all volume levels humanly possible, I wish, then I don't really see the point in changing sticks. The feel of 7As is all wrong for me, there's no bounce and I'm working against the stick. I would much rather play the fusions more gently.

Am I a freak?

Davo

Am I a freak?

Davo

Yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!! :-0 :) Only kidding !!!!!!!

Funny you should say that, I went to rehearsal last night in the same venue and took some 7a's as well, not one person in the band noticed as I alternated them from them back to my 5a's from one song to the next !!!! Not sure if maybe I was playing quieter last night but there were no drummers too loud comments at all.

TwoCables
Just back to you briefly but how come in this thread you seem to be saying it's OK NOT to wear plugs and yet in this other thread you seem to have totally the opposite view ??
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=795613&postcount=14

Last edited:
Vic Firth Peter Erskine Signatures is what your looking for...

Not with the ride tip tho

Best stick EVER

As for multirods, they break easily but they reduce sound well.
I'd suggest Vic Firth Rutes

I use the same sticks for practice and performance. If some one is breaking sticks a lot, you better check your technique or quit pounding. I did a full summer of festival gigs 20 of them I changed one pair during that time because the sticks were worn. As far as hearing proctection goes. I discovered this wonderful invention. INNER EAR MONITORS. They did not have such a thing in my younger years, so I suffer some hearing loss. I have tried ear plugs, I personally could not stand them. When you can't hear your self you tend to play louder to hear your self. Its your own choice if you want to blow your ears out or not. I spent the money and got custom fitted inner monitors and head phone amp. I use them for rehersals. I get such a great mix and noise isolation, Its like listening to an I pod at a reasonable level. If anyone is giging out a lot i highly recommend inner ear monitors.

Back