I need some opinions about Design

S

SickRick

Hey guys,

as some of you might know, I post transcriptions in the Playing Technique Forum. Also, I'm starting my own little drumschool in Paderborn, Germany (which is where I live of course).

The school will have it's own curriculum ranging from a Songbook (transcriptions of Songs that students want to learn), Sight-Reading, Playing Technique, Grooves & Fills and all of my Solo-transcriptions that are available here.

I'll also have a website for the school which will be online in a few days (I have written the url on all my latest transcriptions, allthough it was still in the making.... sorry about that :) - it will be online really soon though.)

Soooooo..... here comes the thing:

I've been experimenting and working with different designs for my Notation-Sheets. I want all the sheets that I hand out to my students to have the same design (like a corporate design).

Here is what I came up with. It was a lot of work for many reasons - mainly because the options that Sibelius offers for layouting are really really really weak, so I have to export the music notation as graphics and then work with other Programs to make it look good.

This is a version of the latest Billy Cobham Transcription. Just let me know, what you guys think of the design. All my material will look like this, with different colours (Red for the Songbook, Blue for Transcriptions and Green for Technique / Reading / Grooves - I call this category "Workshop").

Do you think this looks professional enough? Allthough I am no design/layout expert, I want this to be able to compete with drumbooks that you could buy in a shop. If I show my curriculum stuff to a new student, I want them to think "wow, this looks so nice, I want to learn it just because I like to look at it". ;)

Any design-flaws? Any important things missing?

This is still in the making, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Fragolino.pdf
    334.1 KB · Views: 652
If you want to use these sheets for advertising as well, maybe your phone number could be added to it. Both for new students and in case those reading the score can call if they have questions. Just a thought.

If you want to use these sheets for advertising as well, maybe your phone number could be added to it. Both for new students and in case those reading the score can call if they have questions. Just a thought.

Good idea, GD.

Lutz, I've just juggled a couple of rough ideas and attached as food for thought.

Attachments

• pader-da_rough-drafts.jpg
    pader-da_rough-drafts.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 192
I'll also have a website for the school which will be online in a few days (I have written the url on all my latest transcriptions, allthough it was still in the making.... sorry about that it will be online really soon though.

Hiring a graphic designer would be great, but that seems usable. It doesn't look unprofessional. Here's what I would change:

- Fewer systems per page, for readability.
- Include complete album info- at least title, label and catalog number.
- Go to a smaller point size for the transcript. info- maybe 12.
- Play with the formatting. Maybe put "Pader Drum Academy" in bold, "transcription" normal; put "titel, drummer, tempo" in bold, keep the data normal (or vice versa).
- I might put a standard tempo marking in the transcription, rather than in the header graphic. Maybe substitute "genre" for tempo in the header?
- No capital on "transcription", to further differentiate it from "Pader Drum Academy." I would probably not capitalize drummer, titel, and tempo, but that's just my taste. Or you could make them all caps.
- Quotation marks around the track title could be appropriate. If you include album title, quotes will help differentiate the two. Don't also use quotes on the album title.

Back