Any Tito Puente Fans Here?

Michael McDanial

I know he played timbales and not the regular five piece drum kit (not that he didn't play those at times), but hey, it's still percussion. There's not many people that can light a fire under me like Tito does. His music is so infectious, and I'm so glad I got the chance to see him before he died. A very nice, down-to-earth man who was always having a good time on stage. I think Tito is the perfect example of somebody that used showmanship without taking attention away from the music itself.

A few of my favorite Tito Puente albums:

Tambó
Dance Mania
Top Percussion
Herman's Heat and Puente's Beat
Cuban Carnival
El Rey
Party With Puente (killer versions of "Oye Como Va" and "Take Five" on there)
Puente In Percussion (an all percussion album that also includes Willie Bobo, Mongo Santamaria, and Patato Valdes - if you don't own it, get it!)

Still so many more good ones. I can never get enough of Tito's music.

I love Tito (RIP).
I love his music, I use his book while teaching..... What can I say, he was and remains the King of Mambo!

And one of the greatest guests the Simpsons ever had!

he added a nice "touch" to the early Santana stuff....!!!!!!

Did he play with Santana? I know Pete Escovedo played with Santana and santana played a Tito tune.... Did not know he played or recorded with them.

Did he play with Santana? I know Pete Escovedo played with Santana and santana played a Tito tune.... Did not know he played or recorded with them.

I may be wrong on that, but when I saw the name Tito Puente my first thought was that he was on Santana's 3rd album ( the one with the light show on the cover and no name)...??

Escovedo also rings a bell? I'll try and dig up my old albums and see if I can confirm or deny......

I may be wrong on that, but when I saw the name Tito Puente my first thought was that he was on Santana's 3rd album ( the one with the light show on the cover and no name)...??

Escovedo also rings a bell? I'll try and dig up my old albums and see if I can confirm or deny......

My bad.....he was not on the 3rd album. I did find the name Coke Escovedo on it as an extra musician. Sorry for the mix-up.......

Tito gets a credit due to Oy como va being his tune. Eskovedo played with the band in that period. Sheila's dad.

Old school showman; loved his smile when he drummed. RIP Tito, you mumboed like no one else. He also played congas, trap drums, piano, clarinet and the sax. I hope my pa is jamming with him now!

GJS

Back