Flying with gear... looking for advice.

jer

Silver Member
Hoping those of you that have flown with gear can suggest a best plan of attack.

I only need to bring snare & cymbals, but I'll be taking my kick pedal and a tambourine as well.

It was suggested to me that I take a soft case for the cymbals and bring them as carry-on, a peer mentioned that he's done this before with no issue. My concern there is that the dimensions of a bag of cymbals doesn't fit into the allowed space as per the airliners website for carry on - I'm concerned that if I show up and they request I check them, I should have brought my hard case, (H&B Enduro). Picture a luggage handler with a bag of cymbals... quite possibly one of the worst nightmares a drummer could have!

I'd also feel so much better knowing that I've got my $1000 investment in my hands the entire trip - I've decided to bring my Acrolite, as if anything were to happen, I could replace a lot easier. Thinking of getting a hard case for a much deeper shell (possibly a marching snare case), so I can put my pedal, tamb. and sticks and such all in one case, as I'm needing to pack for a month and need to consider number of pieces I'm taking.

Anyone with experience taking cymbals as carry-on internationally? Please chime in.

Unless your horror story that has a lesson to be learned, I'd rather not hear!

Many thanks in advance!

If your largest cymbal is a 22", then you can carry on your cymbal bag and stow it by the front door of the plane where garment bags are kept.

Either way it looks like you will have to check at least one of your drum gear bags/cases.

If you have a hard case for your Acrolite, check it.

Besides damage, delayed and lost luggage is the nightmare. It's better to carry on the cymbals. If the snare never makes it, you can probably scrounge one up.

I have always found it easier, more secure and cheaper to ship to your destination and pick up when you get there. You walk on to your flight like you're on vacation. If I can't carry it on, it gets shipped.

There are all kinds of mailing companies you can get set up with. Ship it to them in the city you are heading. They will hold it for you and you can go pick it up after you arrive..!

Only way I would do it..

I have always found it easier, more secure and cheaper to ship to your destination and pick up when you get there. You walk on to your flight like you're on vacation. If I can't carry it on, it gets shipped.

There are all kinds of mailing companies you can get set up with. Ship it to them in the city you are heading. They will hold it for you and you can go pick it up after you arrive..!

Only way I would do it..

Dittos. It's not something I've done since the 80's to Scotland, England and Spain. The cost was about the same, but there was no security or insurance from the passenger airlines. Also customs was a much easier issue from the advice I got at the time. Just ship it general delivery for pick up to the carrier. 9\11 has changed a lot things so I don't know how relevant the information is today.

Thanks for the responses. I have considered shipping prior to my departure, the expense is what concerns me, I'll check the link you sent Chip, and do some searching for shipping options myself.

Cheers.

Back