Nesting drums like Whitneydrums and Hip-gigs!

Zorlee

Hi everyone!
For a while I've been looking for a good, portable gig kit. Lately I've been really interested by the so-called "nesting kits".
These kits are made so that toms and maybe a snare can fit inside the bassdrum during transport, so that you only have to carry a 20" hardcase, instead of all the other drums in separate cases.

I've been looking at kits like:
Whitneydrums Nesting Penguin http://whitneydrums.com/products/NestingPenguin.php
Yamaha Hip Gigs http://www.musiciansbuy.com/drums_p..._hip_gig.htm l

What other companies makes these "nesting/stack" drumsets? What should I look for in a kit like this? Are they worth the $ in your opinion?
Fire away!

I'm really loving the kits, but they are a bit pricey, but I might just stretch my budget, if it's a keeper!

Yours sincerely,
Zorlee

I have never gotten to play them but the Penguin's caught my eye. I first spotted them about a year ago on Harmony Central. I thought that the Penguin was one of the coolest things that I have ever seen. The price is what stopped me from buying. I simply couldn't justify it. I have also looked at Traps and I decided against them because although they sound OK, They are just not of the sound quality that I would be happy with. The Yamaha Hip Gig is a bit pricey also. It's a tough decision to make. There are many kits out there for a lot less money. If I had to decide I would probably choose the Penguin's.

I have never played the Whitneys

I have played both of the Hip Gigs in a funky little music store in San Francisco on vacation last year. The Rick Marotta and Al Foster Hip Gigs are both very well built and sound good. I like the smaller Hip Gig with the cool matching canister throne better than the larger version that comes with a soft bag instead.

The RM Hip Gig that I played was in a cherry finish. The AF Hip Gig was in the gold pearl wrap. The cherry finish was beautiful and with the matching canister throne was the smallest and coolest ultra portable I've ever seen.

Unfortunately I couldn't get over how much better the larger AF Hig Gig sounded. The 13" snare sounds a lot better than the 12 on the RM. All the way around, the drums sounded so much better on the larger Hip Gig being "one size up".

I only played them each each for about 10 minutes before the clerk started looking annoyed. The Al Foster kit runs about two grand. I don't remember how much the Rick Marotta sells for.

IMO you would have to really like the sound of the smaller kit to buy it. It is very poppy and light. The Al Foster kit sounds better than my Gretsch Cat Jazz. It's more versatile sounding with the birch hybrid shells.

I kept wishing that I could have the Al Foster in cherry with a matching canister throne and then I would have probably taken that thing home.

I need to hear the Nesting Penguin before I am sure, but I think I want one. They look amazing, and I spoke to the drum maker, and he described the building process to me, and it seems quite impressive. Here's hoping that I can hear some sound samples that back up the awesomeness that these kits seem to be.

Thank you guys so much!
You know, my goal would to bring this along on taxi/bus/subway rides, so that I don't have to buy a car. I know it might be a bit ambitious, but it's worth a shot!
I'm thinking if I can get a set of some stacking/nesting drums, a hardware bag + cymbalbag, then I'm good to go. I only need one of those bags to fit my back (backpack-style), and I'm ready to gig. It's probably gonna be heavy and uncomfortable, but I'll do my best to make this happen! I want to gig, but I can't afford a car in the long run! :)

You are a determined lady. I have an image in my head of you carrying a drum kit on your back in a city. Somehow I think that you will manage to do it. Most of us struggle to load our kits in our cars. Compact or not, drums are not light. Two nights ago I played a gig on the second floor of Toads Place in New Haven Connecticut. I was exhausted by the time that I was done moving my kit up two flights of stairs from my pick up truck on the street. I and my fellow band members were glad that they have a house PA system. At the end of the eve I enlisted the help of some club patrons to aide me. I often do that. People who have had a few drinks are almost always willing to help. I like that!

Same answer as on PDF.

If you're still in Norway, then why not check with Gareth of HighWood Drums of UK. They already builded a beautiful nesting kit.

DSCF0047.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

I'm not sure they would be the best roadies though... what if they stumble and drop your drums?!
Believe it or not I have never had a problem in over thirty years. I kinda look them over and choose them carefully before I enlist them into service.

Thank you guys so much!
You know, my goal would to bring this along on taxi/bus/subway rides, so that I don't have to buy a car. I know it might be a bit ambitious, but it's worth a shot!
I'm thinking if I can get a set of some stacking/nesting drums, a hardware bag + cymbalbag, then I'm good to go. I only need one of those bags to fit my back (backpack-style), and I'm ready to gig. It's probably gonna be heavy and uncomfortable, but I'll do my best to make this happen! I want to gig, but I can't afford a car in the long run! :)

Supposedly, the Nesting Penguin kits are lightweight drums...when all packed up, they weigh about as much as a normal bass drum does...so, that's an added bonus.

Yeah, they just look so good. But I just can't justify buying another expensive kit right now!
BUT I just send mail to the Highwood Drums guys - hopefully they can make a 18", 10" and 14" Nesting kit for me, within my budget! :)

Yeah, they just look so good. But I just can't justify buying another expensive kit right now!
BUT I just send mail to the Highwood Drums guys - hopefully they can make a 18", 10" and 14" Nesting kit for me, within my budget! :)

Please post in here and let us know what they say.

You could consider a cocktail kit or do what I did and for $100 you can buy a conversion kit. This simply allows you to turn your floor tom into a bass drum and has an attachment for a small tom. Gibraltar makes them and they work great, you won't miss the floor tom if you adjust your playing style; saves you a ton of money anyway and easy to cart around for those smaller gigs or sessions. I guess I'm suggesting you buy a proper kit if you do not already own one so that you are prepared for any changes that come your way in the future, this way with the conversion kit you are ready to ride light, and ready to go full tilt boogie when the desire to do so arises. If you own a kit then like I said for $100 you are good to go.Those Penguin kits are nice but wow are they pricey. Any way it is just a suggestion. Good luck with which ever way you go.

Last edited:
Back