drum restoration

dandydonner

looking in to possible getting some old drums (maybe slingerlands?) and restoring them. only problem is, i dont at all know how. so if anyone could tell me a couple websites or something dealing with this topic that would be cool.

Start watching eBay. Start listing out what drums/parts cost, for various brands. Ludwig, Slingerland, Rogers, Gretsch, etc. And make note of which drums are plentyful, and which are harder to find. I'm working on a Rogers "Big R" kit myself, XP-8 shells. http://harryconway.typepad.com/ So far, I've got under $500 into the deal. And almost all the parts to complete the kit. Most important, it's coming out looking just the way I want it to look.

yeah now i'm thinking more of actually building rather than restoration. probably start with just a snare drum. is keller a good brand of shells? also, i've looked a bunch and found lots of stuff on making the drums look good, but is there really anything you can do (when building) about the sound, aside from shell material and heads and whatnot?

....building rather than restoration.... a snare drum. is keller a good brand of shells? ....anything you can do (when building) about the sound, aside from shell material and heads and whatnot?
Keller is the main shell supplier, for the whole "boutique builder" industry. Drumhead61 gave you the main builder links. This part of your question "aside from shell material and heads and whatnot" made me laugh. What else is there to a snare drum, besides " shell material and heads and whatnot"?

This part of your question "aside from shell material and heads and whatnot" made me laugh. What else is there to a snare drum, besides " shell material and heads and whatnot"?

haha sorry i wasn't really thinking. i'm not sure what i meant by that

Back