What is your least favorite concession you made in your set up?

Cowbell. I learned to play a cowbell mounted on the bass drum hoop. I wanted to learn out of the Afro-Cuban Rhythms For Drumset book. I was a huge Steve Gadd fan and wanted to be able to play some of those rhythms when I was studying with a drum teacher in my early-20s. So he worked me through that book.

But now that I often play an 18" diameter bass drum, that thing just doesn't sit high enough. There are other ways to address this, but I just don't bother because I don't play the cowbell enough on most gigs to go through any trouble. But it's too damn low.

I've never bothered with a cowbell mount. It's just mounted on the hi hat rod, which has the added advantage of putting it right where I want it.

F'rinstance I use it on Love Shack, on alternating '3' and 'and-3'. I'd set my arm on fire trying to do that between hat and bass drum.

I've never bothered with a cowbell mount. It's just mounted on the hi hat rod, which has the added advantage of putting it right where I want it.

F'rinstance I use it on Love Shack, on alternating '3' and 'and-3'. I'd set my arm on fire trying to do that between hat and bass drum.

Hey hey! I put my cowbell next to my hats for the exact same reason (not Love Shack!). Got a tambourine wedged in there too for good measure. Makes for some fun patterns.

I used to put it on my hi hat rod when gigging. I wasn't allowed to use it with the exception of the few times we covered 'Dethroned Emperor'. The rest of the band did not need more cowbell.

Wait, cowbell on a hi hat rod....it bobs up and down?

Concessions of any kind aren't included in my list of favorite things, so I am caught in a logic loop.

I'm just being difficult, pay no attention.

The short rod to my hi-hat stand is too short use, so I risk hitting the long rod when I cross my arm over to hit the crash between my hi-hats and snare drum.

Other than that, I have everything set up the way I want it... I think.

Well that put unpleasant cymbal logos and visible seam wrap into perspective...

OP -nothing major for me other than I'd wish my 13x9 was a 13x8 on the 24" bass drum.

To be honest prefer a 14" by 10" with a 24" bass. it just sounds better with a 24.

Couldn't you get a mount with a longer rod for the cowbell? I haven't ever looked into cowbell mounts, so that might not be an option.
I'm sure there is something like that. I have spent zero effort on fixing it. The most energy I've spent on the matter is typing about it on this forum. I never said I was smart.

Hey hey! I put my cowbell next to my hats for the exact same reason (not Love Shack!). Got a tambourine wedged in there too for good measure. Makes for some fun patterns.

Internet high five! I also have a tambourine right next to my hats.

Spooky man!

Ride position in combination with the amount of toms. I really like the setup with just one tom (and preferably two floor toms) so that my ride is in a really comfortable spot. I can easily access the bell and lay into the the ride to open it up, also more easier to crash ride it). But on the other side i like to have two toms up front for more 'sonic options', but that means moving the ride. Especially if it's a kit is provided by the drummer/venue with just two toms mounted on the bass drum. I move the ride over the secondary tom, but that also means it's a bit harder to lay into it let alone crash it (or i need to mount it higher then i'd like).
When i use an off-set setup, my hi-hat moves more to the left and i need to adjust the connection bar of my double pedal etc.

With my Masters kit i use 3 toms up front and i really like that, but it is/was always a struggle to mount everything correctly. The ride is most of the time a struggle since a couple of centimeters can make a difference in accidentally hitting the ride instead of the 12" tom. With the rack it makes this very easy to set up the kit again correctly once i have found the sweet spot, but it's a matter of weeks before i find it (long live memory locks).

Mine is that my two main kits both have 18" Depth bass drums. I would prefer a shallower bass drum, but I got a good deal on the kits.

Mine is that my two main kits both have 18" Depth bass drums. I would prefer a shallower bass drum, but I got a good deal on the kits.

I was in the same state of mind with my 22x18.

Then I saw Larnell Lewis playing one, Vinnie Colaiuta, as well as some of my favorite fusion/jazz/rock drummers, and thought hey if it's good enough for them...

The trend for shallower depths is definitely back and they are more portable, but soundwise the 22x18 has proven its versatility again and again without contest, mic'd or not.

I don't like my 20" x 20" kick drum on my Ludwig Centennial drum set.

I know I should get it cut down, but I'm scared I won't like it, I'm afraid it'll be too expensive, and there's no going back after it's been cut down.

I don't like my 20" x 20" kick drum on my Ludwig Centennial drum set.

I know I should get it cut down, but I'm scared I won't like it, I'm afraid it'll be too expensive, and there's no going back after it's been cut down.

Yes there's a way to go back :
:-D
qskdz1jrt8mn3ln8gbvb.jpg

Yes there's a way to go back :
:-D

Then, I'm pretty sure I'd have more money in the kit than what it's worth. I'd thought about waiting it out to find another 20" x 20" kick that matches it, and then cutting it down to see what I thought. I found a 22" kick for sale, but not a 20" yet.

Tom angles........................Would love to have them a little flatter.

This.

I set up a lot like Travis Barker with everything as flat and low as I can and sometimes that doesn't always work.

Internet high five! I also have a tambourine right next to my hats.

Spooky man!

I'm still trying to figure out an easy way to integrate the tambourine into my setup, without cluttering up too much. I'll get a better contraption assembled at some point, to combine the tambourine and the cowbell, and still stay out of the way of the other stuff. That's the trick, having it where you can get to it easily, without adding complication from clutter.

My biggest concession right now isn't an ergonomic thing, but rather a sonic thing. I do most of my "performing" in a church with a traditional sanctuary, so sound is boomy and loud, and as a result, I use ProMark Lightning Rods to attenuate some of the volume. I HATE the tone of split rods, but even playing lightly with real sticks is too much in that room.

Back