Learning songs by ear, tips?

First I write out the arrangement.

For instance: Intro/Verse/Chorus/Bridge/Solo/Ending

Then I work on each section. Don't move on until you figure each section out.

One month? Please post a video. If you have never played an instrument I doubt you are far enough along to play a strong money beat yet. Go find a teacher.

Well now you can just find a live original or watch a drum cover on Youtube where somebody actually learned the real part-then emulate them. Back in the day we just had our ears and playback upteen billion times and figuring it all out. It's great to have a goal song or solo to try and emulate but just have realistic expectations it may take some time. Listen to the song over and over again while studying it and also while not focused on it-the more you listen the more you will hear.

If you've only been playing drums for about a month, you probably should focus more on technique, timing, and getting the limbs to work together.

The song you're asking about is a very easy song, but without a background in drums, you probably aren't going to be able to understand what's happening.

At this stage, worry about how you're holding your sticks, how well you can play rudiments, how well you can read music/notation, and how well you can play with a metronome.

Someone else mentioned Billy Jean. Play that song, to a metronome and try to keep the beat for the whole song. This will help you learn about appropriate drum parts, and you'll learn a little bit about song form.

Learning an instrument is like learning a language, you have to spend a long time learning the rules and the vocab before you can start having conversations.

Going down the 'maybe this isn't a socially impoverished troll' rabbit hole... ; )

Listen for the basic tempo and strive to keep that as consistent as you can.

I highly suggest a teacher...and a perspective that drumming skills are built in multiples of years with the more refined skills in decades.

Don't get discouraged...that's the main piece....keep working on it!

Back