Feel/Rebound Single vs. Two Ply Kick Batter

Up2Speed

I have not played a single ply kick batter in years. I would appreciate feedback regarding feel and rebound in regard to playing a double pedal. Is it generally easier to play fast double pedal with a single or two ply head? I know tuning is a big factor. My guess is that a two ply head makes it easier.

This is only a guess, so....

It takes way, way more tension to tune a thick, heavy guitar string to the same pitch as a lighter one. Up the mass, up the tension to get the same result.

Drum heads aren't really the same thing as guitar strings, but you are still stretching them/applying tension, so I would hazard a guess that the same principle would apply- the 2-ply head would require more tension to achieve the same note, so it might give you more rebound(?)

Two ply heads aren't solid, though, they're two objects bonded together. This will contribute towards a more mushy feel.

However, the tuning can't be disregarded – a higher tuned head will almost always have more rebound. Also, on bass drums, we must consider whether the reso is ported & how big the port is.

I think you would likely get more rebound from the single-ply head, and thus it might be easier to play quickly on it.

I use a ported reso head. I currently play a clear Emad2 with a Falam patch. I tune tighter than JAW for feel and rebound and get a great low tone. I am considering trying a coated Emad or the Emad heavy weight.

Back