Issues since site maintenance

Andy

Honorary Member
For me, the site has been a bit of a bear to operate since the maintenance the other day. I'm having to frequently force reload the page, & I still can't upload any pictures to the forum. I just get a "failed upload" message, & I've tried every trick I can think of. Help!

yes, not so easy to solve, because PHP outdated and not working properly on new server....

An absolutely innocent question Bernhard and this is in no way a dig but could it be time to update to a newer version of VBulletin? I know the current VBulletin layouts might upset a few people and it would be a big job but I'm concerned that the current version isn't viable for a number of reasons. Security being the first on the list.

The new versions of v-bulletin are getting very bad press and don't really work - as i read on several sources - after the original company was sold. So at the moment not sure what to do...

The new versions of v-bulletin are getting very bad press and don't really work - as i read on several sources - after the original company was sold. So at the moment not sure what to do...

I'm on one forum that uses the new VBulletin and it's quite difficult to navigate. I'm not a fan of the way that it works - I think the layout here is ideal, it's just the age of the software and problems that brings at issue.

Hope you find a decent option Bernhard!

The Vdrums forum uses the most recent version of Vbulletin and the nightmare of hiccups, crashes, unbelievably slow load times (over half a minute), upload failures and overall instability turned that forum in to a ghost town. Within 6 months 75% of the users disappeared. I have completely stopped using that forum because it is not worth the time and energy wasted to load it.

I am experiencing no issues since the last update was done. My laptop, phone and work computer all load and navigate the forum just fine.

Andy, if you are having trouble loading images on the site, just try using the external image tags to load an image.

Tommy - thanks for writing.
But yes, there are several problems not resolved. Uploading pics the normal way through attachment is disturbed at the moment. And: the external image tags you propose: yes, but these pictures need to stay where they are - only linked - and not put into the DW-database....

The Vdrums forum uses the most recent version of Vbulletin and the nightmare of hiccups, crashes, unbelievably slow load times (over half a minute), upload failures and overall instability turned that forum in to a ghost town. Within 6 months 75% of the users disappeared. I have completely stopped using that forum because it is not worth the time and energy wasted to load it.

I am experiencing no issues since the last update was done. My laptop, phone and work computer all load and navigate the forum just fine.

Andy, if you are having trouble loading images on the site, just try using the external image tags to load an image.

Thank you Bernhard. I thought it was a problem specific to me, or maybe a certain browser, hence me starting a thread to encourage someone to advise me. Now I know it's a site issue, I'll just wait until someone who's smarter than me to sort it out. I'm useless at this kind of thing.

As always, thank you for sticking with this Bernhard.

Tommy - thanks for writing.
But yes, there are several problems not resolved. Uploading pics the normal way through attachment is disturbed at the moment. And: the external image tags you propose: yes, but these pictures need to stay where they are - only linked - and not put into the DW-database....

Certainly. People can open a free flickr account and host their photos there, then externally link them with the image tags. Voila! I find I actually get a lot more control of the images, where they fall in my posts, and I get to choose the size of the image, along with what level of quality I want without the restrictions the forums database can support.

Back