Deeper scratches/gouges in wrap

mslano1

I have a '75 Ludwig Blck Cortex kit that has a few deeper scratches/gouges in the wrap. The reminder of borrowing some of drums to a nephew who wasn't taught how to respect other peoples property. I'm not sure if anyone has ever tried to fill this with a product like seam fill for formica products. It appears that the ride cymbal was riding against the rack tom and the rack tom was riding on the base drum. I don't want to re-wrap as that would bring the value of the kit down. I value any suggestions. Thanks!

Can you post some pictures?
Usually, getting rid of scratches can be done with a machine car polisher and fine polish.
The deep scratches are know as RIDS : really incredibly deep scratches. They can be minimized but not removed with polishing. Polishing softens the edges of the deep scratches and makes them less noticeable.
Putting any filler in there will make it look like crap. It won't match.

If it's just black wrap, why not just re-cover it? If it's done by a pro, you would never know it's new black wrap. When I had a kit re-wrapped long ago, we took off the badges, and re-installed everything and it was good as new.

Can you post some pictures?
Usually, getting rid of scratches can be done with a machine car polisher and fine polish.
The deep scratches are know as RIDS : really incredibly deep scratches. They can be minimized but not removed with polishing. Polishing softens the edges of the deep scratches and makes them less noticeable.
Putting any filler in there will make it look like crap. It won't match.

I'll try to post some pics. Someone had mentioned filling with epoxy and buffing out. It would be nice to have something to test the approach on.

They are old, they have been played, they have character. I would leave them alone.

Back