Trinity College drum kit grades

last man to bat

Has anyone here looked at the new grade books from Trinity yet? I've just picked up books grades 1,2 and grades 6,7. It is a slightly different format to the last syllabus and this time around there are songs with vocals, which differs from the last books. I'm pretty excited, the pieces are excellent from what I have looked at so far. The drum parts set up hits and follow vocal lines in a very useable way. For anyone who hasn't come accross them, they are a great resource even if taking grades is not your thing. This time around it feels like they have really got it right, like they finally take the drum kit seriously, there are some great drummers who have written the parts. A big thumbs up from me.

I think they've brought the format back in line with their other classical grades, with the same number of pieces, and technical exercises, along (finally!) with musical knowledge to make sure that candidates don't just understand their instrument, but about general music theory and culture.

The pieces also seem to be slightly more in line with Rock and Pop grades with 'realistic' tracks.

Mind you, ZigFunk from the old grades (grade 1) was a classic! :)

I think Trinity is technically much harder than other grades - my teacher seems to think this too: more technique, and a wider range of genres.

Look cook - looking forward to playing them.

Thanks for this info. I was just debating wether getting these books is worth it. But you have convinced me that it is.

Btw, it was pretty hard to find UK drummers on this forum (to ask this question) so have created a UK drummers group. Check it out if interested.

Cheers.

Back