Need help with a transcription please!

Sounds like 5 to me.

If you listen to the bigger picture, not all the fireworks, it'll come.

Bermuda

When George comes in, they're still in 5, might be easier to pick out in that section.

Bermuda

so the snare is on 2 & 5? I was counting the hiHat ticks as 8ths and I missed one...so 10/8 or 5/4...is that right?

I'm trying to nail this stuff :)

I wouldn't be surprised if there are snares on those counts, at least some of the time. But that's not the clue. Just count easy 1/4 notes (at about 120bpm) and listen for the obvious top of each bar. What may be confusing is right at the start, there's a few beats pickup. But it settles into a consistent groove on the very first crash.

Chester pulls that stuf off so effortlessly and fluently, he can just be "in" any time signature without having to think about it, in the same way the normals can play straight 4/4 without having to think about finding "1". It just flows.

Bermuda

I wouldn't be surprised if there are snares on those counts, at least some of the time. But that's not the clue. Just count easy 1/4 notes (at about 120bpm) and listen for the obvious top of each bar. What may be confusing is right at the start, there's a few beats pickup. But it settles into a consistent groove on the very first crash.

Chester pulls that stuf off so effortlessly and fluently, he can just be "in" any time signature without having to think about it, in the same way the normals can play straight 4/4 without having to think about finding "1". It just flows.

Bermuda

Yes the intro "pickup" was confusing...and yes, after listening to the song through a few times, you are right, he modulates the snare all over the place...sometimes on 3 & 5, sometimes just on 5...etc...

thanks for the info...good stuff. chester has to be doing something right...being endorsed by phil collins and play in his band for so many years

Thanks for the help guys, I got locked into the 5/4 frame of mind after Bermuda mentioned it. My quest to tackle this stuff continues!

Back