The modern day studio groove players?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
So I've been wondering something lately: Who are the modern day studio groove players that follow in the tradition of musicians like Carlos Vega and Jeff Porcaro ?
Yes, Keltner, JR and Gadd are still with us and are as brilliant as ever, but I'm looking for some new music to listen to these days. Any recommendations?

Steve Jordan and Keith Carlock are the two that come to mind. Those two seem to be getting the "groovy" gigs these days.

Vinnie Colaiuta.
Dennis Chambers.

I think the concept of keeping time over chops and flash is lost on younger generation.

Great era of drumming in the 1970s and 1980s.

macbook_white.jpg

Lol...I'm not certain how to interpret your response.
My first reaction was "do a search yourself !" But then I thought to myself 'maybe he's saying that the machines are now the musicians.'

I think the concept of keeping time over chops and flash is lost on younger generation.

Tough one. I know exactly where you're coming from. And I think I know exactly what you mean. But I'd still be more inclined to present it along the lines of: I think the concept of keeping time over chops and flash is lost on younger (also read: newer) "players".....as opposed to "younger generation" per se.

For mine, the issue at hand is more a trap of inexperience than it is of specific age groups. Often times, the issue of musicality is a steep learning curve.....that is more associated with your level of experience than it is the age on your birth certificate.

Yes, thank you for clarifying. Younger meaning less-experienced.

Tough one. I know exactly where you're coming from. And I think I know exactly what you mean. But I'd still be more inclined to present it along the lines of: I think the concept of keeping time over chops and flash is lost on younger (also read: newer) "players".....as opposed to "younger generation" per se.

For mine, the issue at hand is more a trap of inexperience than it is of specific age groups. Often times, the issue of musicality is a steep learning curve.....that is more associated with your level of experience than it is the age on your birth certificate.

Well, ACTUALLY... There is something to be said for the newest generation of players being of a different style where hands and feet take precedence over being in the pocket. Is there a 20-something Jeff Porcaro out there right now? Or even a 30-something? Jeff Porcaro was Jeff Porcaro as a teenager.

Lol...I'm not certain how to interpret your response.
My first reaction was "do a search yourself !" But then I thought to myself 'maybe he's saying that the machines are now the musicians.'

Well, specifically, the market/industry will just sequence out a simple and solid beat rather than call a musician. A bit tongue in cheek, but not entirely untrue, I'd wager.

Well, specifically, the market/industry will just sequence out a simple and solid beat rather than call a musician. A bit tongue in cheek, but not entirely untrue, I'd wager.

I got your joke, and sadly it is likely true in the average music production of 'today'.

So I've been wondering something lately: Who are the modern day studio groove players that follow in the tradition of musicians like Carlos Vega and Jeff Porcaro ?
Yes, Keltner, JR and Gadd are still with us and are as brilliant as ever, but I'm looking for some new music to listen to these days. Any recommendations?

I think there are great groove drummers in every genre of music nowadays but here are the 5 top 'workingest' drummers IMO

1) Abe Laboriel
2) Kenny Arnoff
3) JJ Johnson
4) Keith Carlock
5) Steve Jordan

There is a nice article in the current issue of MD on Victor Indrizzo. I always dug what he did with Sheryl Crow but had no idea his resume was so impressive. I would truly call him a pocket guy.

A couple other current groove players I have enjoyed watching on the tube lately are Brian Dunne and Shawn Pelton on the show Live At Daryls House.

Back