Double Pedal, Set of cymbals, or tom tom

meil_viruz_99

What should I choose?
I'm thinking of asking our school to rent our speakers, amplifiers, etc.
We already have all; drums, bass, guitar, mics, amps . . . . .
I'm planning of buying a double pedal. But our cymbals are only two, crash and ride
and we only have one floor tom. What should I buy, double peds, cymbals, or tom tom?
Why and what brand?

Have you finished exploring the limits of the gear that you have? I would be inclined to buy nothing and ensure that I was extracting the maximum effect out of the gear that i already have before adding to it. More drums, more cymbals and particulalrly a doubl pedal can be a hinderance to creativity, not an enabler. Don't buy gear for the sake of it, you'll end up thinking that new drums, cymbals ect will make you play better. They won't, they'll simply cost you money. When you get to the point where you need to add drums or cymbals, it will be self evident what you need. Or it will be self evident that you don't need any of that.

best wishes

Iain

I would say a pair of hi-hats and a stand for them. I don't recommend any specific size or brand...just not the cheap ones.

Hats are used almost universally across all types of music, and in almost every song. Although no one voice is absolutely necessary, as you can create your own sound as you see fit, I would cry if asked to play a gig without them.

I would say a pair of hi-hats and a stand for them. *I don't recommend any specific size or brand...just not the cheap ones.

Hats are used almost universally across all types of music, and in almost every song. *Although no one voice is absolutely necessary, as you can create your own sound as you see fit, I would cry if asked to play a gig without them.

We already own a hi-hat. What I was looking for is a set. If the set contains a pair of hi-hat, it's ok, as long as it contains a crash and a ride. And by the way, I'm looking for smaller or larger inch of crash & ride. We already have Zildjian ZBT 14" Crash and 18" Ride, together with 13" Hi-Hats. Thanks for the reply . . .

Have you finished exploring the limits of the gear that you have? I would be inclined to buy nothing and ensure that I was extracting the maximum effect out of the gear that i already have before adding to it. More drums, more cymbals and particulalrly a doubl pedal can be a hinderance to creativity, not an enabler. Don't buy gear for the sake of it, you'll end up thinking that new drums, cymbals ect will make you play better. They won't, they'll simply cost you money. When you get to the point where you need to add drums or cymbals, it will be self evident what you need. Or it will be self evident that you don't need any of that.

best wishes

Iain

Yes, I think I do. I want it/those for my/our own use. We use to jam with my brother and cousins and I think having one of those or having all three will make it better. And, I'm not thinking that way, I want to learn how to use double pedal but how if I don't have any. I want to add a crash/ride or a tom tom for an extra flick to my beats. Like you said, it might be a hindrance in creativity but it also may be a form of creativity, just by practicing, and practicing. I want these three but my problem is money, I just get money from my allowance, and now I will try to earn by jailbreaking, doing projects of other classmate . . .
And I also want to earn extra money by asking our school to rent ours instead of AudioTricks (a sound and lights provider). AudioTricks only have a double peds, they don't have those three . . .
Thanks for the reply . . .

I would get a good quality all around ride cymbal, something like the Zildjian Sweet Ride.
You can do without the extra toms or the double pedal, but a good ride is something that might last a lifetime
It's also something that won't lose it's value, should you ever re-sell it.

But whatever you decide on, one more thing: definitely buy used!!
Just make sure it's in good working condition.

As was stated, buy used if at all possible. Look at local stores for used cymbals. Don't buy by what is considered better than something else. Buy with your ears. Don't worry about the double kick, or the extra tom. Focus on getting as proficient as you can with the single kick. Then when the double is absolutely necessary (I can tell you right now that it's not, and for most applications, it never will be), learning it will come much easier than you'd think.

Oh, ok. I think I'll gonna save up for a zildjian set . . .
But why used? I mean why should I buy for (example) 50 if the price is just 80-100
I think buying a brand new will cost you more but at least, you're assured there are
less/no hidden dents, scratches . . .
What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying used ones?

Oh, ok. I think I'll gonna save up for a zildjian set . . .
But why used? I mean why should I buy for (example) 50 if the price is just 80-100
I think buying a brand new will cost you more but at least, you're assured there are
less/no hidden dents, scratches . . .
What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying used ones?

You can get great cymbals for a fraction of the new prices. I don't own a single cymbal that wasn't bought used. If I bought all of my cymbals new, I would still be playing Zildjian ZBTs, rather than Sabian AAXs. Make sure you get the chance to see and try them in person, to make sure they are in good shape. Don't worry about little dings and scratches. It's chips, cracks, and keyholing that you have to worryabout. The rest is just asthetics, and make little to no difference in the sound of the cymbal.

Sure a lot of companies have warranties if you buy new (Sabian is worth noting for having good warranties), but they take so long to replace your cymbals, that you will probably buy other cymbals when you get tired of waiting.

You can get great cymbals for a fraction of the new prices. I don't own a single cymbal that wasn't bought used. If I bought all of my cymbals new, I would still be playing Zildjian ZBTs, rather than Sabian AAXs. Make sure you get the chance to see and try them in person, to make sure they are in good shape. Don't worry about little dings and scratches. It's chips, cracks, and keyholing that you have to worryabout. The rest is just asthetics, and make little to no difference in the sound of the cymbal.

Sure a lot of companies have warranties if you buy new (Sabian is worth noting for having good warranties), but they take so long to replace your cymbals, that you will probably buy other cymbals when you get tired of waiting.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I know a place where they sell all kinds of instruments, the price is about 3/4 the original price and it's brand new.
Ex: Original brand new price: 100 ; 3/4 the price: 70-80 ; 2nd hand: 50
I think I'll just go for the 3/4, if I can't find one, then the used one is the 2nd option.

Back