converting marhcing bass drum into kick?

peacefrog

I'm curious to know if using a marching bass drum (looking at a Pearl champion 18 x 14) as a kick drum will create a different sound for a rock/blues/jazz (as in, will it sound bad?). I plan on getting a riser and some clamps and making it into a kick.

a drum is a drum is a drum. If what you want is an 18x14 kick with the type of wood and thickness that the drum is, then it won't be any different than the same specs originally designed to be a drum-set kick drum. Only difference is hardware.

I turned 3 marchers into kicks (by adding spurs). A 28x14, a 26x14, and a 20x14. All of them came out sweet. With all the different head combo's to work with, you can pretty much make that kick sound like anything. From wide open .... to really tight and punchy.​

There's really no difference between most marchers,and drum set drums.Many a marcher has seen new life as part of a kit.

Steve B

Thanks for the replys. You guys confirmed my suspicions, i.e. that it would work fine, even great! I also thought of the first drummers in the old-time jazz bands, and realized they had to convert marchers! They couldn't just go and buy a jazz drumset like nowadays.

Cool! Let us know how it turns out (pictures would be nice too). I realize it may take a while. Peace and goodwill.

Back