What's the earliest age to learn to play?

i think whenever they show enough interest.. i used hit things pretending i was drumming, tape paper on the top of boxes to make drums! i had a couple 'fisher price' style plastic kits before hand then finally my parents saw i showed a lot of interest and took me to my first lesson at the age of 7.. nearly 21 and now studying a degree in drums! never to young.. look at tony royster jr!

I wish I could have started much earlier.
My mother wanted me to play violin, upright bass, and even just guitar.
I asked for a drum kit since I was five years old, but didn't get one until I was around eleven or twelve, and it was a cheapo I bought off a flatbed trailer for sixty dollars.
Then I practiced until I was fourteen, and that's when I really started getting serious about it.

I joined a band with some high school friends, and we played classic rock covers. Well they played Classic Rock tunes. I just played a typical 4/4 rock beat over everything. But I improved. If I'd been able to start earlier, I think my skills would be much more advanced.

Caddywumpus - That's impressive and seems like a sensible balance between enjoying and learning instead of learning and hating or just hitting out of time with a stick forever and getting sick.
I think I'll copy your plan if he's keen.

Dumdrum - crawling at 6 months is an achievement in itself! Good going!

"Dumdrum - crawling at 6 months is an achievement in itself! Good going!"

Yeah... First child lessons learned... I remember thinking "can't wait until he can crawl!" Made my days as a stay at home dad much harder :-/ then he started walking at 9 months which was crazy... I also remember thinking that I couldn't wait until he could talk... Now he is a continuous stream of questions... Sometimes you gotta be careful what you ask for lol!

"Dumdrum - crawling at 6 months is an achievement in itself! Good going!"

Yeah... First child lessons learned... I remember thinking "can't wait until he can crawl!" Made my days as a stay at home dad much harder :-/ then he started walking at 9 months which was crazy... I also remember thinking that I couldn't wait until he could talk... Now he is a continuous stream of questions... Sometimes you gotta be careful what you ask for lol!

Hahahaha amen brotha!

My little ones nearly 9 months, he's crawling and learning to walk but, he's got a way to go yet before he can do un-aided.
9 months is amazing!
I felt the same, couldn't wait for him to crawl but, even with safety gates it's still hard work.
He shouts constantly all day aswell, so, so loud. Some days it drives me insane but, he's my little buddy and I love him to bits.

Hard work though!

Back