Slingerland Drum ID help

opentune

Platinum Member
Am on a mission to possibly save these drums, shown in an ad in a place I will visit in a month. So cannot see them 1st hand right now. Guy asking $100 for all - a 24" bass drum, 14" and 13" toms. They look 'chrome' wrapped (actual pitted chrome??) which in Slingy catalogs don't show until 1979, yet as far as I can see have re-rings, maple interior, which means pre-1976. I recall Neil Peart had chrome wrap on his mid-70's Slingerlands. Other clue is there is a Slingy 'Yellow Jacket" pedal. Looks 80-ish.
Any ideas from the experts....the year/model?
For sure a 70's badge on bass drum. They are clearly abused but I hope to rescue if the bearing edges are fine. I especially want to add the bass drum to my Slingy 'jellybean' kit .
Any advice on shipping drums either?
slingessex1.jpg

slingessex2.jpg

slingessex3.jpg

Chrome and copper over wood shells were available from 71 on.I almost purchased a copper over wood double bass kit in my junior year of high school,which was in 71.

The band I was with in college rented rehersal studio space for a short time and the studio drum kit was a Slingerland chrome over wood kit.This wasin 73,and the reason I remember it so clearly is it was a monster kit with I think 6 toms,and it was for sale.The studio owner was a heavy drug user,and needed the cash.I think he wanted 300 for the whole deal,with cymbals.

Anyway...those drums look to be be 3 ply,with re rings,and could be as early as 71.Forget the drum finishes,check the actual catalog.There is a double bass kit called the Jazz Rock,and it is pictured in COW finish.As far as age,you'll have to check the badge serial numbers to geat an approximate manufacture date.

Steve B

Thanks Steve, I knew you would know. Ya finishes are deceiving. I find it funny they would cover wood drums with copper and not a cheaper, lighter wrap (or maybe copper was cheap then). These drums look like crap but I'd really like to save them, even re-wrap if I had to.

Back