Carter Beauford

Don't worry, your english was pretty good! yep, well, Carter is one really awsome drummer...groovemaster...he has probbably the deepest pocket in the universe

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! Yes, u are right that is what Jojo Mayer does (heel-toe technique), actually my idea was to record exactly the same what Jojo shows @ that video clip :)

Look into drum technique, there we chat a bit about that, maybe u'll get some usefull information!

he is awsome! one of my biggest influences lately, just to adapt funky grooves and his tripolet based fills. really sweet! If you wanna hear a slick groove i learned from em, listen to Stand Up by Dave Mathews Band, awsome groove.

Never hear of this guy, is he good ????

Just Kiddin' !

Carter's my boy !

My favourite drummer by far !

He has it all : deepest pocket in the cosmos, amazing groove, creativity ( you should see what this guy can pull off live, amazing !!!), incredible feel, his kit sounds gorgeous, his hi hat playing is (now) legendary, he plays the most beautiful tom fills since Cobham, he always smiles when he plays, he chews gum whan he solos (Like Dennis the Menace) etc etc etc.

He is the only guy I know who can play very busy (especially live) but still he can maintain an incredible deep groove while his hands are flying around his enormous kit ! Go Carter !

Do yourself a favour and go buy the Dave Mathews Band: The Central Park Concert DVD and be amazed, because Carter and the Boys were on fire that Night (playing in front of 100 000+ people must help) and the quality of the DVD (image and sound) is fantastic !
They do a 20 minutes version of their classic song Two Step with a Carter Solo in the middle jazz section which is just inspiring !

And Carter plays with such passion through the entire three hour set, seeing is believing !

Carter Beauford on the Drums ! Carter Beauford on the Drums ! Carter Beauford on the Drums !

Only Dave hardcore fans will get my last quote !!

Yes indeed,

Carter is one of my top influences along with Simon Phillips and Dennis Chambers. Carter has reintroduced "dynamics and power balance" into playing, and he has absolute focus during performances in the studio, and especially live. In my opinion he approaches the drums like a piano......very melodic.

I'd like to see Simon Phillips and ToTo on the scene like Dave Matthews Band, that would be Earth shaking man!.......

Dap.

I was going to say something, but carterB said it all... nothing to add
GREAT DRUMMER!!!

Truly a great player - his innovation with his left hand on ride cymbal is great to hear. I generally prefer drummers who stay in the pcoket and tend to shy away from "busy" players. Carter is clearly the exception.

Carter is an endorser of Yamaha drums. Did anyone notice that when he played at Live "8" he was playing a Sonor kit? Was this just because of the nature of the gig or is he switching away from yamaha. I suspect the former.

Paul

jammaster said:
Don't worry, your english was pretty good! yep, well, Carter is one really awsome drummer...groovemaster...he has probbably the deepest pocket in the universe

hell yea he has the deepest pocket....he never misses a beat and his cymbal work is absolutely unbelivable...his open handed playing, his feel for songs, his mind blowing double bass teqnique, did i mension cymbal dynamics...everything about him is simply unbelivable, one glance at a live performance an dyou will be hooked

carter beauford

he is one of the most talented, musical drummers besides danny carey , there are side by side in my book. Carter has it all, from groove, to technicality, to musicality

Re: carter beauford

Carter is an amazing Drummer that has some great patterns and different feels to his playing. I dont think I would like DMB at all if it werent for him. But you really should try to see if there is already a thread about a drummer before starting a new one.

Re: carter beauford

Jason Dorn said:
But you really should try to see if there is already a thread about a drummer before starting a new one.

I just merged the two threads - so ok now

Bernhard

you should check out that dvd of carter "under the table and drumming", man, i love this guy....

im actually about to go get the dmb central park concert dvd, hope its good

DrZoidberg[ITA] said:
Hi all,i'm an italian drummer and i like very much this site.
I discovered Carter Beauford,here on this site (http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Carter_Beauford.html).. I love his "groove sense", his creativity and the way he plays splashes ..then i heard him playing with his band,"Dave Matthew's Band" and i think he's a great drummer.

Ps. I wish i wrote with a good english
Ciao ragazzo

Italy here!!!

great drummer carter very good and solid drumming..
have u seen carter and wooten dvd?
very nice

T

hey jammaster when i go to see your video it says that the playlist format is not recognized, is their n e other way i could view it?

He is one of my favourite drummers. I know that he is left handed but plays right handed easily. (usually plays cross handed) Also he is ambidextrous (plays with left and right hands equally) When he started play drums he was only 3 years ago. He plays in dawe matthews band also played with carlos santana and many many others...

He uses his own promark signature series ; Carter beauford 5AB model. (5AB is different , standart 5a weight but peak tickness is 5B.

His setup ;

CarterKit.gif

01. Yamaha 22"x18" recording custom kick
spacer.gif

02. Yamaha 8" tom
spacer.gif

03. Yamaha 10" tom
spacer.gif

04. Yamaha 12" tom
spacer.gif

05. Yamaha 14" tom
spacer.gif

06. Yamaha 18" floor tom
spacer.gif

07. 13"x51/2" Ocheltree bronze snare
spacer.gif

08. 13" Ocheltree bronze timbale
spacer.gif

09. 14" Ocheltree bronze timbale
spacer.gif

10. Zildjian 13" Z Dyno Beat hi-hat (on top) over 13" K Top Hi-hat (on bottom)
spacer.gif

11. Zildjian 13" A Custom Projection Hi-hats
spacer.gif

12. Zildjian 18" Oriental Trash Crash
spacer.gif

13. Zildjian 14" K Dark Thin Crash
spacer.gif

14. Zildjian 20" A Custom Flat Ride
spacer.gif

15. Zildjian 20" A Custom Projection Ride
spacer.gif

16. Zildjian 6" Zil-Bel
spacer.gif

17. Chinese wedding bell
spacer.gif

18. Zildjian 18" K Dark Medium Thin Crash
spacer.gif

19. Zildjian 17" K Dark Medium Thin Crash

20. Zildjian 10" A Custom Splash
spacer.gif

21. Zildjian 9" Oriental Trash Splash
spacer.gif

22. Zildjian 10" A Extra Thin Splash
spacer.gif

23. Zildjian 14" K Dark Thin Crash
spacer.gif

24. Zildjian 8" A Splash (piggyback on #22)
spacer.gif

25. Zildjian 22" Oriental China Trash
spacer.gif

26. Zildjian 20" Oriental China Trash (piggyback on #25)
spacer.gif

27. Zildjian 20" Oriental Crash Of Doom
spacer.gif

28. Zildjian 30" Hand Hammered Gong

Last edited:
stagecustom said:
you should check out that dvd of carter "under the table and drumming", man, i love this guy....

im actually about to go get the dmb central park concert dvd, hope its good

Hey, Not only is this DVD amazing, the jam break during "Two Step" is by far one of the best jams I've seen. Between Steffan Lessards amazing riffing on the bass and the flawless entry into a latin groove led by their piano player butch taylor and carter, it makes for an amazing session. I just recently went to the Dave concert in Camden, NJ and let me tell you, they saved "Two Step" as the final song of the curtain call and did the jam break... amazing. Check it out and keep rockin to carter brotha!

Groove chaser

I'll tell you what, I am a huge fan of jam bands like the Spin Doctors but some of the most intense rhythms I have ever heard came straight from Carter Beauford on the Dave Matthews Band CD Crash. It is a track called "Drive in, Drive Out" and I am honestly blown away every time I hear it. I always make sure I keep my biased emotions out of my suggestions because I also play guitar and am just an over all fan of the Dave Matthews Band, but if you do'nt happen to like the band, keep in mind every drummer respects another drummers ability and skill where it is deserved, and folks... Carter deserves MAD props on his syncopated rhythms he layed down on "Drive in, Drive out". Thanks for readin and keep on tappin'.

Back