Who are some better "Metal" drummers?

Tim Yueng (Hate Eternal, Divine Heresy, Nile, Etc)
Shannon Lucas (All That Remains, Black Dahlia Murder)

I dont think anyone has mentioned them.

Lots of good answers here. For power metal I've always loved Uli Kusch and Mike Terrana.

Blake Richardson is one of the best players I've ever seen in person. I watched him from above during a BTBAM show and was floored. The kid would lead with his left foot, then the next time through, his right... he played half the show open, the other half closed. Seeing someone practice on stage with that music was damn near religious.

Here are, in my opinion, 3 of the very best metal Drummers on the planet.

Stain Kristoffersen - Pagan's Mind
Van Williams - Nevermore
Dirk Verbeuren - Warrel Dane's - Praises to the war Machine - very creative tasteful drumming on this album. I've not heard him with Soilwork, I don't like cookie cutter vocals.

Here's a few that I know that haven't been mentioned. Some of these guys are really obscure!

Mats Ekstrom (Ex-Candlemass; played on "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus")

Anders Eek (Funeral)

Any drummer that's played for Pentagram

Vinny Appice

Tom Hunting (Exodus)

Mats was Candlemass' drummer only for that first CD - he left after EDM because of scheduling issues with rehearsals. If you're looking for good drumming, listen to Candlemass' very first CD - their other ones aren't all that spectacular (IMO, Jan Lindh, the guy who replaced Mats, is much less interesting than Mats was) drum - wise.

If you're looking for drummers who play weird time sigs and use rudimental fills and everything in between, Anders Eek is GREAT with that. He may be a bit difficult to listen to due to the fact that he plays funeral doom - a type of metal whose tempos often bottom out below the minimum BPM of many metronomes. Some of his material's good to play, some of it's screwy - use your judgement here!

Pentagram's had many lineup changes throughout their career - their singer, Bobby Liebling, is their only constant member and the only Pentagram member who has played on more than one of their records. Drum - wise, they can be fairly simple, but you can find a lot of what you're looking for with these guys.

Vinny Appice is pretty well-known in the metal world. Any Black Sabbath / Dio material he's played on is fair game. That Heaven and Hell CD, "The Devil You Know" is particularly strong with respect to rudiment fills. I do a lot of my practice playing to that CD.

Tom Hunting's the outlier in my list because he plays so damn fast; the other 4 play at a snail's pace in comparison (it's a moot point for Anders - he plays at a snail's pace anyway). He's a lot like Paul Bostaph or Dave Lombardo. Many of the fills I remember from Exodus' material are blazing rolls, which may not be what you're looking for if you're looking for more than singles / triplets! If your endurance isn't where it should be, then be very careful with this guy! :)

Last edited:
It is funny how metal has progressed to the stage that if it is not blinding 32nds on the kick for hours on end, it is not metal.

So here is to our roots:
Tommy Aldridge, saw him in clinic last week, gem of a guy, and just a metronome of a player, so solid and in the pocket. His repertoire of stuff is not huge, but what he does, is what puts him in demand of some of the biggest acts in metal. He lays it down, and does not flinch.

When I read the OPs post, I immediately went to Tomas Haake.

Yep, he's freakish.

All the guys at the big DT audition even if they sit at the edge of the metal scene. Also, if Tool is metal then Danny Carey is way up there. Brad Wilk from RATM has a really enjoyable groove.

And let's not forget the guys who started it all - Bill Ward and Ian Paice!

I would say the two of the best metal drummers around are Moe Carlson of protest the hero and Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan of avenged sevenfold. They definitely blow any post-hardcore drummers out of the water.

Back