Here's an oldie but a goodie

M

Matt Bo Eder

I found this in a used bookstore the other day. I had since lost my original copy decades ago that I bought new back in 1978. I remember it like it was yesterday - I was studying with a local teacher when I was 11, and he was taking me through Benjamin Podemski's Modern Snare Drum method book at the time (I hated it, and then hated it even more when I discovered ol' Ben was using his own type of "short hand" for writing the notation, that I never saw in anybody else's books or in the concert hall), but against my teachers' wishes, I bought this book and proceeded to take myself through it, learning how to play simple rock beats and learning how to read Carmine's stuff. The book even came with a 12x17 poster of Carmine, and a couple of those plastic sleeve records so you could hear the beats as Carmine played them.

On a technical level, it was probably groundbreaking since it was written not on the usual 5-line staff, but it's own notation utilizing three lines. I hadn't seen that up until this book (maybe I'm wrong?). And of course, it was a 'cool' book getting kids into that forbidden music called "rock n roll" (I understand Carmine wrote this book in the 60s - and it has paid many bills for him in the last 40 years!).

Lo and behold, I'm browsing this old book store and find this gem. It still had the poster, and it had one of the records. I don't have anything to play the records anyway. So i had to pick it up.

This book probably explains why I have a soft-spot in my heart for Thermagloss Maple, and probably all things Ludwig, but I certainly don't dig the ancient state-of-the-art hardware from the period! I'm sure plenty of you here have gone through this very book - what's your story?

(Of course, Gary Chester then releases "The New Breed" and that sent me back into the closet for many months - I still work on that stuff, and still suck at it).

Attachments

• Realistic-Rock-Cover.jpg
    Realistic-Rock-Cover.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 416
This is 78 ?
I'm surprised, i would have thought mid eighties.
His drum kit is very nice, I'm surprised by the depth of the bass drums for that period of time, certainly custom..

Yes, I had that same book! My teacher recommended it, despite the fact he was primarily an old-school jazz player. It would have been 75/76ish for me, something like that.

Anybody who enjoys that book cover ("enjoys" may be a better term) and is on the twitterz should follow Bad Album Covers immediately.

This is 78 ?
I'm surprised, i would have thought mid eighties.
His drum kit is very nice, I'm surprised by the depth of the bass drums for that period of time, certainly custom..

I looked it up, and he first published Realistic Rock in 1972, so yeah, my copy washroom 1978, and it was the "updated" Realistic Rock book. In the book, he says his bass drums are 15x24, so they had to be custom, since Ludwig debuted the "power" sizes just that year with 16" depths. Earlier in his career, he was using the single-headed toms with a re-configured Octa-Plus kit.

I bought that book in 76-78 and still got it, not in pristine condition and poster is missing, probably was on my boy-room wall and then got lost. I think it's still a good book, after getting back to drums I went through it twice, right & left hand lead. I still got the thin vinyl records that came with the book too.

I can't believe that book was published in 1972. Maybe Carmine's claims that he invented rock drumming weren't as far-fetched as I thought.

I actually bought that book in 1972 (I started playing November 1971), and THEN the cover was this:

nkrv2jxcva8rcyv68pz2.jpg

I can't believe that book was published in 1972. Maybe Carmine's claims that he invented rock drumming weren't as far-fetched as I thought.

Well, he was certainly there in the beginning of that hippie long-hair phase ;)

I found this in a used bookstore the other day. I had since lost my original copy decades ago that I bought new back in 1978.

I picked up my copy in '79 after seeing Carmine at a drum clinic in San Antonio, Texas.

Take a listen to these two albums. Before there was iTunes, all the magic happened on vinyl.

Attachments

• BeckBogartAppiceFront.jpg
    BeckBogartAppiceFront.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 254
  • BeckBogartAppiceBack.jpg
    BeckBogartAppiceBack.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 251
  • CactusFront.jpg
    CactusFront.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 253
  • CactusBack.jpg
    CactusBack.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 247

Invented rock drumming is still far fetched.

Invented rock drumming education, however, is likely spot on.

Invented rock drumming is still far fetched.

Invented rock drumming education, however, is likely spot on.

I used to get these little articles from the Ludwig Education division and Carmine had grand plans to do rock drumming symposiums. I have a feeling he provided the model for many of our famous clinicians doing drum camps, since no one back then was doing that.

I used to get these little articles from the Ludwig Education division and Carmine had grand plans to do rock drumming symposiums. I have a feeling he provided the model for many of our famous clinicians doing drum camps, since no one back then was doing that.

Except for maybe Roy Burns.

Back