Cleaning Duct / Gaffer Tape Marks

Tried all the usual... Vaseline, tar remover, WD40, goo gone, nail polish remover, oils. ONLY thing that removed it from my cymbal was Berrymans B12 Chemtool injector / carburetor cleaner. Can get it at WalMart.

I wrapped my hand in a wash cloth, then placed my finger on the area and rubbed very fast (not hard). The heat generated by the friction softened the glue/residue and it peeled off. Got a sore finger though.

I've used a product called Bestine Solvent & Thinner for years to remove residue from lavaliere mic's and XLR cables. It takes a little elbow grease but it has never harmed any of my components or cable sheathing. It's a solvent you can purchase at most art stores. Just be sure to never use it near a heat source and to allow plenty of ventilation.

Whatever you use to clean off the residue, be sure to ditch the duct tape and purchase a good quality roll of gaff tape for future use.

I just cleaned a fair amount of gaffa tape residue from some metal surface mics using olive oil and plenty of elbow grease. soft cloth + fingernail. a little bit of detergent at the end to get rid of the oil residue. paper towels to dry.

I was trying to tidy up my kit as pre buying O rings I used Duct / Gaffer Tape and tissue for dampening but it's left marks where I've taken it off.

Anyone any idea's for getting rid of the marks, I was tempted to use the wife's nail varnish remover which would probably cut straight through it but was concerened that it might eat into / damage the skin.

They're Remo pinstripes if that makes a difference.

Any help / advice much appreciated !!!
Acetone nail polish remover is not a good idea it is too powerful and will ruin the skins.

Drummer_D

Take the head off the drum and wash it in the sink with hot water, dawn, and a sponge. It works fantastic, and you dont have to deal with chemicals.

Remember, mylar heads were designed to resist moisture. Washing them wont hurt them. Only clear heads though, don't wash coated.

With super 'welded on' Gaffer Tape, if it is on metal, I will use a smidgen of paint thinners. Comes straight off :)

My son bought a used ride approximately 3 1/2 years ago and we just found out there's some kind of sticky tape on the bottom. It looks like someone tried to take the tape off but now it's all dry and sticky. Although we are in the process of buying a new box set (Zildjian K Custom Dark) of course we want to sell what we have... so I was wondering how to get that sticky tape residue off without ruining the cymbal? Any suggestions?

Drummer_D

Back