I'm soooo looking forward to this!

Andy

Honorary Member
The amazing Yolanda Charles challenges 3 Guru artists with her killer grooves. 3 very different drummers, 3 very different kits, 3 very different interpretations, & all recorded live in the same room. It might just all get a bit out of hand ;)

Technically & artistically challenging. Not sure this has ever been done before. Pure improv on the fly. Let battle commence!

Attachments

• drum battle 1.jpg
    drum battle 1.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 316
She is so hot.

This looks awesome.

Can't wait!

If it's likely to get out of hand, perhaps I ought to be there to act as chaperone?

Oh boy.
Too Cool !

Hope I can see/hear the video someday.

Oh hey, she's playing the bass I'm planning to buy next!

Very rare to get Yolanda into chops mode, but here's an improv jam that's getting up there. Stunning drumming too! That groove Yo!!!! http://youtu.be/vgvj8TIi8ww?t=6m16s
She is so hot.

This looks awesome.
A very hot player indeed Larry :)

Can't wait!

If it's likely to get out of hand, perhaps I ought to be there to act as chaperone?
Chaperone who? David? He'll be fine :)

Looking forward to becoming independent of my saliva, wallet, and pants.
That's a really bad pre breakfast image :)

Oh boy.
Too Cool !

Hope I can see/hear the video someday.

We're recording next week Jim, & should release the video within a day or two of the session.

Oh hey, she's playing the bass I'm planning to buy next!
Cool! Yolanda plays a number of basses, most notably her Levinson Blade. You might find this interview interesting. Some good general musician advice too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5swJ02TmRBo

Last edited by a moderator:
There's too many strings on that bass. Three is the most she'd need. E, A, and D. G strings are for strippers, and if you avoid flat keys (like Db, or Eb), you never need the low B ;)

Here's a bit more session detail. We start with open/tasteful grooves, running through some blues, jazz, rock stuff. This is to settle in the session & allow comparison between kits & interpretation styles. Then it ramps up to some faster funk stuff, & eventually into silly territory (I hope). Each player will take on a specific style (at least, to begin with), & use that style as the basis for their interpretation. Dave McKeague will be doing small group jazz, David Floegel pop to prog, & George Cook big groove pop to rock.

It should be interesting to see how each player interprets a groove/riff from one genre using a different genre. Anyone got a groove/riff style suggestion they'd like to see included?

Back