Rhythm Dictionary

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Inspired by the beat naming thread.

It would be cool thing to catalog all the accepted names for beats that we have to date in the hopes of hammering out some sort of standard language that identifies well known, and not so well known, rhythms. Yes there are already names in place, but where can you find a comprehensive collection of names of rhythms in one place? I think something like that would be a really great thing for any musician. It would lessen the communication gap between drummers and pitched instrument players.

I'll start with just 2 for now:

Flat Tire shuffle
Money Beat

Of course there are variations of rhythms, but they would all fall under a common heading.

Very useful terminology IMO. I'll bet there are hundreds of existing names for rhythms already. Let's see if we can consolidate them here into one useful resource.

A rhythm dictionary if you will.

Yes, I really like this idea. The list can be used to search out and learn how to play each one. I'll throw one out there that I just learned.

New Orleans 2nd line beat.

King Kong beat (Pete Depoe of Redbone)
The Amen Break (Gregory Coleman of The Winstons)
J Dilla/Glitch Beats

And speaking of Dilla: Karriem Riggins is killin it on the August Greene debut album.

For anyone posting a beat, link a YouTube clip, or at the very least include a song title and artist, so we can hear those we're unfamiliar with.

2 beat-- basic country, also called boom- chick, by me anyway.

I've developed my own names for certain beats and patterns that probably wouldn't make sense to y'all but they work for me.

Techno
Techno kick and ride
Techno kick only
Techno 16ths on hats
4 on the floor
6/8 ride floor
You to Me
late heartbeat
straight
straight with 16ths
toms with snare every other
ride the floor with fake paradiddle
cheesy fill
broken hats
offbeat snare techno kick
easy offbeat

etc.

Last edited:
There has to be a name for the old jazz/swing high hat standard .....

da dada da dada (closed,closed,open,closed,closed,open)

I really (probably, maybe) should have learned to read and write music :)

Afro-Cuban rhythms seem to be the best-documented in terms of getting formal names for different grooves. Books like Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials catalog a number of them as well.

What about a fill library? Motown pick-up fill, Pat Boone-Debby Boone, etc.

There's always the "Just sit in the effin pocket!"

There has to be a name for the old jazz/swing high hat standard .....

da dada da dada (closed,closed,open,closed,closed,open)

I really (probably, maybe) should have learned to read and write music :)

if you play it like that you might get punched right on the band stand ;)

it's (open, closed open open , closed open open)

and many call it "55" or " walk the dog"

EDIT:

funny story about that though ...

while studying with Peter Erskine he told a story of when Neil Peart was a student of his while he was preparing Neil for one of the burning for Buddy type things... can't remember exactly what the performance was ...
it was widely known that Neil was studying with Peter so everyone was excited to hear how he sounded.
Peter said that he walked into the theater as the band was rehearsing with Neil and the first thing he noticed was that Neil was playing that horrible backward hi hat swing pattern ...
... he said he was standing there in the isle between rows of audience seats listening to Neil butcher the song still wearing his parka and holding his bag when out of nowhere Tommy Igoe jumps into Peters face and yells...
"you're a real F*$*in' great teacher!!!"

very much enjoyed hearing that story from Peter

anyway ... hijack over

carry on

Last edited:
Dude, I cannot stop laughing. Seriously.

EDIT:

funny story about that though ...

while studying with Peter Erskine he told a story of when Neil Peart was a student of his while he was preparing Neil for one of the burning for Buddy type things... can't remember exactly what the performance was ...
it was widely known that Neil was studying with Peter so everyone was excited to hear how he sounded.
Peter said that he walked into the theater as the band was rehearsing with Neil and the first thing he noticed was that Neil was playing that horrible backward hi hat swing pattern ...
... he said he was standing there in the isle between rows of audience seats listening to Neil butcher the song still wearing his parka and holding his bag when out of nowhere Tommy Igoe jumps into Peters face and yells...
"you're a real F*$*in' great teacher!!!"

very much enjoyed hearing that story from Peter

anyway ... hijack over

carry on

That RULES.

Oh yeah. No wonder I keep getting fired :)

In my head, I only heard the third one as open.

Maybe because the first open one is only partially open (in the process of opening) and the second was fully open??

I had to go play it to realize my mistake :)

I suck at this

Oh yeah. No wonder I keep getting fired :)

In my head, I only heard the third one as open.

Maybe because the first open one is only partially open (in the process of opening) and the second was fully open??

I had to go play it to realize my mistake :)

I suck at this

I have played that beat since 1957. But now even I'm confused by the descriptions. Someone please post a video of what your talking about.

Back