Mounting Rack Toms on Cymbal Stands

DrummerCA35

I'm contemplating getting a new kit. The kits I am interested in have virgin bass drums. I play a 5-piece kit: 10/12/14/22 with a snare of course. So I have 10 and 12 toms to mount. The standard way of doing this seems to be mounting each tom on a double-braced tom/cymbal boom combo stand. So that would require TWO of these stands which look like heavy tanks. (I know I could mount both tom on a tom stand but then the toms are pushed over to the left, and I'm just not used to this.)

The question being...has anyone had success just getting say a tom bracket and mounting it on a single braced lightweight stand? Do rack toms really gotta be mounted on those heavy tanks? This is probably a silly question, but...

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:
Do rack toms really gotta be mounted on those heavy tanks?

Absolutely NOT!!!

The question being...has anyone had success just getting say a tom bracket and mounting it on a single braced lightweight stand?

Yes. Check out the link to the thread about my kit, in my signature below...

I play a Renown and use big heavy tank stands (Gibraltar 9600 series) with very little wobble. It's more of a wiggle. I have seen stands as light as Yamaha 700 series work well.

I rarely play out, so the big-n-heavy stuff is not an issue for me.

I will say depending on the desired position of the toms you may want a heavier stand.

I have Tama Hyperdrives and have the toms positioned directly over the bass. I found that this mean the weight of the tom was further away from the stand and left me feeling uneasy about stability, as I play a little aggressive sometimes. So I bought some Tama Roadpro stands (I'm a Tama junkie) wit the counter weights and have no worries now.

In the kit linked in the reply above, it looks like the tom is sitting close to the stand and off to the left of the bass, which might be why it isn't an issue. I suspect (and am probably wrong) that if that tom were swung a little further over the bass it might see some wobbling under "aggressive" play?

Just a thought.

Caddy presented exactly the advice I was about to give - use the Yamaha 700 series single braced cymbal stands with your tom mounts. With a good cymbal stand like these, a big double-braced cymbal stand becomes redundant. Look up links to "Yamaha Hardware" here on this site and you will find nothing but praise for the 700 series' robust design and build quality.

GeeDeeEmm

In the kit linked in the reply above, it looks like the tom is sitting close to the stand and off to the left of the bass, which might be why it isn't an issue. I suspect (and am probably wrong) that if that tom were swung a little further over the bass it might see some wobbling under "aggressive" play?

Nah, that's just where I like it positioned. If stability and wobbling were an issue, I wouldn't be able to mount the 24" ride so far off of the other, identical stand. :)

Back