Absurdly Priced Component Drums

NerfLad

Silver Member
The other day I went to my local GC and got a quote on a 20 x 14 Saturn bass drum to go with my kit. They're $918!! Now, I know 20 x 14 isn't a common size, especially for Mapex's likely clientele (that is to say, "not jazz guys"), but that's quite steep, keeping in mind the "Studioease" configuration of 22, 10, 12, 14, 14 x 5.5 and 16 streets for $1300. That's what I just picked mine up new for at GC anyway (it was not a floor demo kit).

Does anyone else have experience with way over-the-top pricing on component drums? I know Yamaha tends to have pretty good deals on them.

-Nerflad

All single drums cost a mint. All brands. Look on eBay and you can find full sets for what the same brand snare or base cost.

Yamaha sent me a 10" Rock Tour tom back in January for the difference in price between five and six piece shell packs... I had had the five for a year and a half, too, so it wasn't like a short-term buyer's remorse kind of thing.

The other day I went to my local GC and got a quote on a 20 x 14 Saturn bass drum to go with my kit. They're $918!!

-Nerflad
That's only a bit less than the retail price of a hand crafted 20" x 14" solid walnut stave bass drum from us!

That's no surprise though, as there's a good reason for individual drums attracting a significant premium from the volume makers. Their production is geared to delivering low unit costs by making large batches of the same drum. The moment you step outside of that formula, the unit cost to the manufacturer increases tremendously. There's also little perceived reason for the retailer to be competitive either. Stack the two together, & you have your higher price.

That's only a bit less than the retail price of a hand crafted 20" x 14" solid walnut stave bass drum from us!

I was dumbfounded at the near-boutique price, yes. The rep said they would have to custom build it for me, so what you mentioned is exactly the case.

By the way, I just oggled over your website... wow! Gorgeous and classy. Maybe one day!

(waits for inevitable quip about your daughter)

A lot depends on the manufacturer. The most expensive add on drums came from DW for my DW Classic kit. Next in line was for my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, third, my Tama Starclassic Bubinga and both my Ludwig Classic Maple and Gretsch Renowns were very reasonable in price in my opinion. I will still buy shell packs off my dealer's floor and use add on drums to fill in the gaps where I deem necessary. Through the years I added one 14" floor tom to my DW, a matching 14" x 5 1/2" snare and 8" tom to my Yamaha kit, a matching 14" x 5 1/2" snare, 8", and 14" toms to my Bubinga drums, a matching snare, 10", 13" and 16" toms to my Ludwig Classic Maples and finally a matching snare drum, 8" and 16" toms to my Renown kit.

It's best to find a set of drums that have most of the drums that you expect to use in the near future, this will save you gobs of money in the long run. Add on when and where you seem it as necessary, but don't take too much time deciding to be sure they are still making the sizes and finishes to match your original purchase. Buying all individual drums from the start is not a great economical decision in my opinion. I would rather be buying a few great sounding cymbals for the money I saved.

Dennis

Back