No Hi Hat....

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Does anyone ever use a kit with NO HI HAT whatsoever as part of it ?

The type of music the band I'm in play live warrants very minimal use of hats.....I'm convinced I could do without....and thinking of moving to learning double bass pedal beats.

Just wondering...in reality I'd probably still use a closed hi hat ...but intrigued.

There are many metal-noise/thrash/speed/-more abstract rock groups that just play with several rides/crashes..

Hell I know of some drummers that "hate" HH's...however I personally could never do without a solid placed 'Slussshhh" (open hat sizzle)

Kim from Matt & Kim does not use a hi hat.

I have made pseudo 'drum kits' for concert band and perc ensemble.

As a percussionist, I understand the whole "Don't bring stuff you won't hit" idea. However, I bet you would get a lot of weird looks from the audience if you did not bring one.

I think, from memory, the drummer with the Subways does not use hats, will now have to go check.....

So, looking at their website it looks like drummer Josh uses a very basic setup:

http://thesubways.net/

Last edited:
I experimented with this setup briefly about two years ago. I play right-handed, FYI. It was just something I wanted to try out and see if I could be comfortable on. I might actually do it again, come to think of it!

24" Ibrahim Diril Traditional (2910 grams)
19" AAX-Plosion Fast Crash
Yammy Rock Tour 22 x 18, 16 x 15
ddrum Dominion Maple 13 x 7

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 377
It can be a dis-service to your skills to not become familiar with moving your left foot between HH and Slave Bass Pedal.

While your current project might not need it, think of your skills and where you want to go with your playing.

Be able to play the pulse of the song with that left foot...and be mobile to different apparati...even if you decide you dont want to for a specific song/project...

hmm...cowbell pedal and bass slave...with no HH...intriguing...maybe add a woodblock pedal as well...just no HH....

There are many metal-noise/thrash/speed/-more abstract rock groups that just play with several rides/crashes..

Hell I know of some drummers that "hate" HH's...however I personally could never do without a solid placed 'Slussshhh" (open hat sizzle)

One could make an argument that many genres need no hihats and you could do just fine in a rock band with mock hats (no foot pedal, always closed).

On the other hand, I've seen bands play with no ride. I think Phil Rudd, whom I cite has a great influence, said he has never owned a ride cybal, but I really need hats and ride.

I could play without a hi-hat if I absolutely had to.

But I think I'd be pretty uncomfortable doing it.

Back