What's your favorite drum key? Serious!

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I like Pearl drum keys. They just feel good in my hand. Ludwig makes a key with a triangular handle. I don't like that too much.

I was wondering when someone was going to ask this question. I like Pearl, also, but any will do for me. While we are at it, What are your favorite bass drum felt strips, cup holders, triangle beaters, sandpaper blocks, sweat bands? Lets just get them all out there. :)

I really like the big T-shape DW drum key that is covered in thick black plastic. Very easy to use, although it doesnt fit in my narrow opening DW bass drum lugs.

+1 for the Pearl... Not that I have a choice, I have so many. I think they have the ability to reproduce or something. I don't have much Pearl gear (a hihat stand, and a snare currently), but I have like 5-6 of those damn keys.

Like oysters (where pearls come from) Pearl keys are asexual. They can reproduce without help.

I like the Pearl key as well...nice solid key

but it is a bit bulky to have hanging from my key ring so I use a DW

less metal and blends right in with the other keys

Pearl key here as well. They've had a few versions, one with kind of rounded balls on the ends of the handle, and a more traditional key with a plastic Pearl logo insert. Both have a great feel.

But I have a few other keys at my ready as well, including the older style Rogers/Duplex key, and for the road, because they're cheap and need replacing often, I use the generic keys that Gibraltar & Cannon make.

Bermuda

The DW keys are less bulky, but the T part isn't wide enough for me. They look cheap too. I do have one on my key ring though, for emergencies when I forget my Pearl key.

I have old Pearl keys from the 80's and the newer model with the Black plastic name on them. Nice and thick, I love them both. I bought a DW practice pad kit which came with a DW key, what a piece of crap! it hurts my fingers to use it.

Another vote for the Pearl key with the rounded balls on each end of the T-handle.

This is mine (or a picture of a similar one to mine, anyways). My trusty Ludwig Sta-Set 4-way key. I found this in an old locker at a rehearsal hall in 1991 where the house drumsets were 70's/80's vintage Ludwigs with the Modular tom mounts and hardware. Sure is handy to have that wingnut grabber to help tighten or loosen things. I've managed to not lose this thing for 20 years now.

Attachments

• post-199-041731900 1331162087_thumb.jpg
    post-199-041731900 1331162087_thumb.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 2,552
another vote for the Pearl keys... though I also have a Zildjian Drummers Tool (I googled for a photo - but no luck, maybe they're not avail anymore?). it's sort of like a swiss army knife - a fold out drum key, phillips and standard screw drivers and 4 different sized allen wrenches (perfect for Pearl eliminator pedals and some other stuff that uses allen wrenches) -- I'd be lost without this thing!

Thanks,
Mike Noll

I will have to go with Gibraltar drum keys. Very cheap so when I loose it it doesn't break the wallet. Makes a good little key chain too.

This is mine (or a picture of a similar one to mine, anyways). My trusty Ludwig Sta-Set 4-way key. I found this in an old locker at a rehearsal hall in 1991 where the house drumsets were 70's/80's vintage Ludwigs with the Modular tom mounts and hardware. Sure is handy to have that wingnut grabber to help tighten or loosen things. I've managed to not lose this thing for 20 years now.

Hey! That's mine! I left it in that locker! The locker was tan, right? Why you.... :)

Old 1980’s Tama keys are comfy. Nice big triangle to hold on to. Dunno if they still make them the same.

I have a Pearl in the car, a new style Yamaha on my main key-ring and assorted others cluttering up my practice room. Dunno if I have a favourite, but the one that came with the Iron Cobra is very good. The little holder for it means I always have one to hand behind the kit and the extended allen key arm means more leverage for quick head changes etc.

different keys for different purposes.

if I want to get my snare super tight:
PearlK030.jpg

always have one handy, as it's also a cymbal wingnut
image.php

used to use the evans torque key all the time, it can be very useful for getting all the lugs close to the same tension before you fine tune by ear.
evans-torque-key-2-th.jpg

this little 90 degree key is useful for getting into tight spaces
images

and I took one of these yamaha keys, ground the edges down and the logo off, drilled a hole in it and made it into a Thor's hammer necklace which I wore all the time, came in handy at several gigs. Since then my sweetie bought be a nicer Thor's hammer necklace for our anniversary, so I wear that instead now.
DB21F4427A854D81BB48C2D95107B2A9_12001.jpg

Hey! That's mine! I left it in that locker! The locker was tan, right? Why you.... :)

Nope, Dark brown, Monterey, California. Sorry, Larry. Consider this my "peace offering!" ;)

Back