Would you think I'm ungrateful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents knew I loved to play my digital drums, and they knew I wanted a real acoustic kit. When Christmas rolled around, they asked me what I wanted, I told them I only wanted money so I could begin saving up for the set I wanted, so hopefully later in the year I could have enough. I spent alot of time looking up the right set and cymbals. On Christmas day, my dad suprised me with a Tama Imperialstar. Its Ocean Mist Blue, and comes with Meinl HCS cymbals. Dont get me wrong, its a very nice set, and I'm very grateful and happy, but he did exactly what I didnt want him to do, which was go out and buy something he didnt have the first clue about. I originally planned on getting a Sound Percussion Pro 5-Piece in Wine Red with Black Hardware. It has a full hardware pack, even including 2 boom stands. Coming without cymbals, I chose Wuhan New Traditional cymbals, which comes with 14HH, 16C, 20R, and a 10S. Those are amazing and inexpensive cymbals. In the end it wouldve totaled to about $550. The Imperialstar was $700, and since it was an all-in-one beginner set, I have alot of upgrades I need to do. I need to change cymbals, heads, and I want to powdercoat the rims and lugs. I emailed a powder coating company, and they said they cant powdercoat the lugs, bass drum spurs, the tom holder, or any of the other chrome parts except for the rims, which would work. So black hardware which I love so much is out of the question. My dad told me that I'm in debt to him until I pay off the drums, which I didnt ask him to get in the first place. I need to change alot of the things on it, and some things cant even be changed. I'm not trying to be ungrateful, I would never want to. But does anyone else think I've been screwed over in a way?

Tough, tough, tough one indeed!!

Can I ask how old you are and how long you've been playing?........only because if you are 13 and have only been playing for a few months, I would respond differently than if you were 20, with a source of income (or at least the ability to earn your own coin) and are gigging fairly regularly.

Ive been playing for about 3 years now, but i really started getting into it in the past year. I play every other day for about an hour or two. Im not in a band right now, though i do jam with people occasionally. Im 15 and am going to apply for a job this summer to start paying it off. Im honestly not ungrateful, but i pretty much got screwed over on a decision that i wasnt even aware of, and now i gotta pay this thing off. So i posted this so get peopls opinions

Tama makes great drums. Regardless if it's entry level or high end. The Tama kit would probably out last the kit you want by a mile. Just remember that with proper heads and tuning your kit will sound fantastic. As for as the cymbals go yes they are probably junk but they can be replaced in time. The kit may not be what you want color wise but they are better than nothing. Theres a member on here named Lee ( I think, I know he's from Cuba) his gear is in terrible condition but he is so proud to play his kit even though it's not the best. Hell the guy made his own double pedal because he couldn't afford one of his own. Growing up I didn't have my own kit but I did get to play on my dads kit. When I was sixteen I bought a nine piece tama superstar, 5 Paiste crashes (Two 2oo2' and three signautes), 2 Paiste rides ( signature and 2002's) and Paiste 2oo2 hi hats and china. About 4 months ago I had to sell all of my gear for about 1500ish total. I had well over 4 thousand invested into the kit. It was the most heart breaking day of my life. Now I'm back to playing on my dad's kit. It's not has huge as mine was. They cymbals aren't exactly what i prefer. But they are drums I love to play them. I am thankful that my dad gives me the opportunity to play his kit whenever I please. I don't know anyone else who would let me do that.

15, hmmm.......you're probably not gonna like this, but I'm gonna say suck it up. I know it's not what you had your heart set on, but rightly or wrongly, it's what you've got.

I wouldn't spend too much on the kit save for swapping the heads if you think it needs it. Certainly any money you spend powder coating is money wasted (the smart move?...take that money and invest it into some lessons!). One day (and although it may not seem like it, it really isn't that far away) you're gonna sell this kit and get what you really want......powder coating is a costly exercise that is nothing more than an asthetic waste of money.....you won't get your money back on resale....not by a long shot.

I understand it's not what you want, but you are indeed a lucky one mate. There's hundreds of kids your age, bashing away on pads, pots and pans, even phone books, that would give their right arm for what you have. It's not the kit, it's the player.....or (one of my favs.)....It's the Indian....not the arrow. Take what you have, at the end of the day it's still a solid, workable drum kit in great playing order. Enjoy it and concentrate on YOUR playing and YOUR development......you can do this on ANY kit.

In a few short years, you'll have your own money and the world of drum kits will be your oyster. I say, play it, enjoy it, hone your skills on it and make it something you cherish, purely because your parents have "shared your dream" by getting you a kit......even it slightly misses the mark in terms of what you'd ultimately hoped for.

Be thankful for it, my friend.....and drum your arse off on it!! :)

Yeah I forgot to mention about the powder coating. It's not going to enhance the resale value at all. The kit you want won't be your kit for the rest of your life. It's an entry level kit at best. And in my opinion you could find a much better used kit for the same amount of money that will last you much longer.

I went through the same thing. Over all, be greatful your parent support your drumming dude.

My dad spent $500 on a used CB700 5 piece kit, with a gnarly metal snare and some cymbals (actually pretty nice cymbals since it was an old rockers kit) but i played my heart out on that thing, got the heads i want, purchased and got cymbals as gifts and then i moved out.

Once i had my job i went and bought my Gretsch catalina ash kit (i picked it over the reknown maple, as i could have had either, but the ash sounded more to my taste) and its the black kit, with black nickel hardware, and the feeling of doing it myself made the wait worth it.

Plus....in all honesty, if you rush out and buy the other kit you want, it may not sound as nice, and in 5 years there will be the "new best thing" and youll have the budget to afford it.

I cried a little when I read this. Seriously, young man, you need to puff out your chest a little and hop on them new shiny drums and rock them out for a good long while before you start talking about which drumset or the other is best for you.

Why are you still reading this? They are begging you to play them!

:)

...and smile every time you do!

Yeah, sorry, as a parent myself, I do think you are being ungrateful. In no way did you get screwed over! I do give you props for questioning your feelings about it, though. It's hard not to be disappointed when you don't get just what you want. But that happens a lot in life, so it's good to learn to deal with it - suck it up, as Pocket said!

On the bright side, you got a good kit, with better quality and resale value than the Sound Percussion, I think. Definitely save your money on the powder coating. Not only does it fail to increase resale value, it can actually reduce it, as I found out the hard way.

Focus on your playing, save your money to buy what you want, and be thankful your dad cared enough to buy you a kit! Good luck and practice a lot. :)

Well I have a pearl forum (equivilant to imperialstar). My parents could have easily gotten a all maple vision for just $200 more.

Though its not a high quality kit, I deal with it.

First off, you can get lots of low quality drums to sound great. With the right heads and precise tuning, you can get it to sound like a pro kit.
That leads me to a funny story. When I played these drums for a friend (who only knew i had pearl drums, he didn't know what line), he said to me.. "Nice playing! What are those, Masters?"

I told him they were forum, and he was quite shocked by how good the sounded.

Here's another thing: Lets say youre playing a gig, and 2 producers looking for a drummer walk in. Now im going to present 2 scenarios, and you tell me which is more likely to happen....

1st scenario (tama starclassic, average talented drummer)
"This guy is nothing special, we're looking for something new. Lets get out of here dude."

2nd scenario (tama imperialstar, great innovative drummer)
"Dude this guy has an imperialstar! What a loser, no way we want him for this production."

The first scenario is much more likely (and often does) to happen, while the 2nd rarely (if ever) would happen.

As pocket-full-of-gold said, its the drummer not the gear.

Man i understand where you are coming from.......but like everyone has said you have to just man up.........

When i was 13 i wanted a set of drums. I thought about them night and day. Any set would do. I would have taken a set of toy drums. On Christmas day i got a Orange Arbor Bass Guitar and a 10 watt Creat amp. I had seen the orange bass at the music store on clearance. I thought how ugly it was. Now it was under my tree. I guess that is all my mother could afford. It hurt but I played bass in bands for 20 years------not with the orange one i bought a new bass at 16 after i got a job and saved...........About 7 months ago i bought a drum set and started taking lessons. Im 36. I guess some dreams never die. Parents are not always perfect. They do the best they can. Dreams are not always perfect either. Sometimes you have to make yourself fit the dream. So just close your eyes and imagine you are playing the set you wanted.

My dad told me that I'm in debt to him until I pay off the drums, which I didnt ask him to get in the first place. "I'm not trying to be ungrateful, I would never want to. But does anyone else think I've been screwed over in a way?

WHAT?

Let me get this straight. Your Dad went out during Christmas holiday and bought you a new drumset that you did not want and now wants you to pay him back?

1. I would give them back to him, tell him thanks but no thanks and he can set them up in his room and learn to play them.

2. I would tell him since I have to pay for the kit, you (dad) take it back for a full refund or whatever they give you and I will put it down on the kit of my choice and pay you off as agreed.

Sorry, I sound ungreatful but he DID NOT receive a gift in the first place which TOTALLY changes the rules of engagement here.

Wait a sec, you wanted a Sound Percussion kit, and are upset you got a much better quality Tama set??

You totally scored!

A Sound Percussion kit is a generic off-brand set that would have no resale value and would not be the least bit impressive to any future bands you might join.

You did get a Tama, a major respected brand name.

You HAVE the better drums now.

I'm totally with DrumEatDrum here. The Tama kit wins hands down over the Sound Percussion. And neither kit, is the kinda kit you're gonna keep, for the rest of your life.​
Save the powder coating, black hardware, yadda yadda for when you really have a pro-level, or custom kit.​

WHAT?

Let me get this straight. Your Dad went out during Christmas holiday and bought you a new drumset that you did not want and now wants you to pay him back?

1. I would give them back to him, tell him thanks but no thanks and he can set them up in his room and learn to play them.

2. I would tell him since I have to pay for the kit, you (dad) take it back for a full refund or whatever they give you and I will put it down on the kit of my choice and pay you off as agreed.

Sorry, I sound ungreatful but he DID NOT receive a gift in the first place which TOTALLY changes the rules of engagement here.

Im kinda confused about that part too. I feel like that is not a gift, its something youre making payments on. It would be like me going to a car dealership, being told that Im getting a car as a "gift" from the manager, but then getting the bill every month. Thats just called buying a car.

I agree you got better drums (although maybe not in the finish you want, they do look good, and they will sound better and last longer).

I don't get the part about you having to pay for it now - I thought the kit was a gift. Is it possible that your dad said 'you have to pay for it' as a bad reaction to your saying it's not what you wanted? It's possible that if his feelings are hurt then he might say that. So he might back off on that part in time.

Then perhaps you can get a job anyway and use your earnings to start upgrading your cymbals... Look for some used pro cymbals and upgrade one at a time as you can afford it - this is a process that lasts a lifetime...

I would take a tama over a sp any day myself...but thats not the point I guess..I went through something similar with my son thats a guitar player (yeah cant understand it either) but he wanted a specific wawa pedal..I think its a dimebag model and I got him a donlap...which I know is a sturdy dependable pedal they have been around since I was a kid... as a parent its tough to give a kid a gift and see him not 100% happy about it.. After a couple days I told him I still have the reciept for the dunlap and if he wants to take "his own money" and upgrade I would take him to do it... he has grown into the dunlap needless to say though it may have something to do with he's saving for a airsoft gun he wants more then the dimebag pedal..If he really wants you to pay him back however this changes everything,, he then gave you aloan which is still a nice gift bit I think you should have the option of taking them back for sure...ask him if he has the reciept?

Agree with Crazy 8. You got drums, baby! Smile!

Though I understand how you feel, and I think everyone does when you have your heart set on something and you get something else, I'd try and make this work for me.

Tama Imperial stars arent bad drums..

Explain the problem to your dad nicely and try to get him to pitch in for the right heads, tune em up real nice, buy some nice cymbals off Ebay or wherever, and make this sucker the sweetest sounding set of drums you ever heard. Can be done. You'll live without the powder coating job ( for a while anyway..)

Not everyone is going to agree with me when I say this, but there is a lot of marketing/advertising bullshit about about drums. Dont get overly caught up with brand names or finishes. Well made in round shells with smooth bearing edges should make some beautiful sounds.

G'luck.

PS- I own an fantastic set of drums in a finish I hate ( the finish is very popular on this forum, but not with me..). I'm really happy with them.

Yeh tough one, if I were you i'd give it a couple of weeks more before really making any decision. In my mind, the Tama is the better kit, brand history, good hardware etc. Get some decent heads for it and see how it sounds.

I think we can all relate to not quite getting what we wanted, it takes a bit of growing to realise that parents feel the same when something they've been excited about giving it's received in the expected way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back