Desirable percussion between the 50's-70's?

Mosschops

Tomorrow morning I'll be visiting a guy who has three drum kits he wants to part with in part or whole from between the 50's-70's and which were his personal performing gear.
I know nothing of the old fella through my telephone conversation when following up what appears his first 'taster' advert for a 1960's Paiste cymbal, except that he made a living from drumming between the early 50's and mid 70's.

As a complete novice having only just picked up my first drum kit yesterday morning from a fellow DrummersWorld member I wanted to ask you guys and girls what brands amongst drum kits should I be looking to identify within this era that could be worthy of reclaiming??

Ludwig, Gretsch, Rogers, Premier, Slingerland....any of these in good order would be desirable.

I'm sure others will chime in with more, but that's a good start.

Thank you for that. I may not have the time to check back in for further posts before I get there so much appreciated.
I'll hopefully update on what's there with some pictures.

Do you have just "one shot" to buy the kits? That's kind of a LARGE amount of info to learn in a short amount of time. Are you looking for a kit to play or collect?

I agree with Pock-Foggy-Fogg's summation of what you ought to check out. I'll also add Trixon, but I doubt he'll have any of THOSE kits sitting around.

Picking up a vintage Luddy or Slingerland from this era would be great and affordable. Gretsch kits and Rogers kits would fetch more bucks. I don't have a clue about Premiers, except that I've liked the ones I've played.

I don't have a clue about Premiers, except that I've liked the ones I've played.

Ha! Saw the OP's UK address and thought it my civic duty to offer up Premier......I'd be almost willing to stake everything I own on the fact that there will be a Prem sitting there when he arrives......although, I did say almost. :)

I have no desire to collect but I'd be a fool if I missed something and hence the post.
My main reason for posting this is that I'd not want to appear a collector or some sort of drum rapist. This guy is probably in his 70's by his voice and I'd not want to either rip him off and nor take advantage out of respect, however, if there were a diamond nor would I want to pay market price which makes it a difficult balance.

Of course I could be staring at a bag of shite tomorrow morning but what about damaged or worn shells? What sort of woodwork is worth reclaiming which has long lost its skins and owners respect?

Of course I could be staring at a bag of shite tomorrow morning but what about damaged or worn shells? What sort of woodwork is worth reclaiming which has long lost its skins and respect?

There's a lot of things that can most likely be replaced. Heads are a given and by far the most easy to swap over. Hoops are readily available too. Lugs etc may take a little more involved searching should they need replacing. The deal breaker would be any permanent structural damage to the shells....forget scratches on the wraps etc, they can always be replaced.....but if the drums look cracked in anyway or 'out of round', then these are considerably more difficult (and costly) to repair. Baring edges are worth looking closely at as well......whilst any damage to them can be fixed by re-cutting new ones, again it's a hassle you probably don't need.

Don't be afraid to take a head off and fully inspect the shell....any major damage, baulk.

.....I'd be almost willing to stake everything I own on the fact that there will be a Prem sitting there when he arrives......although, I did say almost. :)

You win. He's going to drag that one out when he has time and give me a call.

Well I came away with the two cymbals. Both in what appears great condition considering the 40 years age.

One owner.

Price paid for the pair: £25/$38US

10 & 22 inches. Less rivets on the sizzle.

z017.jpg

z029.jpg

z022.jpg

z023.jpg

z026.jpg

z027.jpg

Back