Top 3 Ringo Drumming?

I can't search youtube at work, but one of my favorite Ringo tracks, and one I pull out when folks talk down his playing, is "I Feel Fine" He effortlessly switches between a burning latin and driving four on the floor. There's much more going on there than most folks realize.

I can't search youtube at work, but one of my favorite Ringo tracks, and one I pull out when folks talk down his playing, is "I Feel Fine" He effortlessly switches between a burning latin and driving four on the floor. There's much more going on there than most folks realize.

I'm not 100% sure it's Ringo playing a single track. It strikes me as an atypical performance in Ringo's career, and one I've never been able to imagine him playing.

About 6 months ago I picked up a DVD with bootleg footage of numerous Beatles performances. When I saw a couple of performances of I Feel Fine on the set list I was curious see him play that pattern. Yet on those performances he played it as you'd expect Ringo to play - straight eighths on the bell of the ride.

I know that's not conclusive proof given that I've seen a clip of Jeff Porcaro leaving out his signature ghosts in Rosanna; subtleties don't always work on stage, especially when you have a gazillion screamers in the audience. I've simplified on stage too. However, Jeff P's famous half-time shuffle wasn't an atyipical display of chops for him.

My three:

1. Easy Money (studio version)
2. Frame By Frame
3. Thela Hun Ginjeet or Starless

:)

"I feel fine" is one of my fav. Ringo tracks for sure I also like "Saw her standing there" & "Come Together" I know it's not the most difficult but very tasteful.

Bonzolead

I know, I tried to copy this song once. Didn't do a very good job of it. I think Ringo really shines on this song.

Gotta vote for Come Together.
The drums are used as part of the song structure rather than just for the rhythm.
So much so that Aerosmith's cover uses the exact same pattern.

wow, some resurrection of old threads for Easter.....

Rain is a great example of Ringo letting go a bit. Love his drumming on it.

"In My Life" Simple yet beautiful playing
"Ticket To Ride" Nobody else would have thought to play it that way
The entire B side of Abbey Road.

Tomorrow Never Knows
In my Life
Abbey Rd side two.

No, I didn't copy-paste Lenny's, we both just have great taste!

She Said, She Said
Tomorrow Never Knows (even though it's a loop)
Paperback Writer (because it popularised the kick drum mic)

Hands down Ringo's best. The opening of this track is their best as well.

Great job recording too. George Martin and forget if it was Geoff Emerick yet or Norm Smith?

Hands down Ringo's best. The opening of this track is their best as well.

Great job recording too. George Martin and forget if it was Geoff Emerick yet or Norm Smith?

I've never understood that opinion. I get that Ringo "lets go" on it - he always talks about that as his most technically proficient song - but I don't think it's a strong song. I frequently use that song as an example of how bad the Beatles might have been had some flashy technical drummer taken the seat.

And I swear I saw footage of Ringo doing the Latin beat and switch to rock in Beatles Anthology, but I don't plan to rewatch all 8 hours any time soon :p

Oh, you beat me to it! I love that tune. He really cuts loose on that track.

I've always liked his change in feels on "Let It Be" too.

1) Happiness is a Warm Gun - There's a polyrhythm in this!
2) Day in the Life - That Feel
3) Golden Slumbers - It's a prog masterpiece before its time

Back