Drummer for Dirty Harry movie soundtrack? (Answered: John Guerin, Larry Bunker, and Mel Lewis)

Average

Does anyone know what drummer played on the Dirty Harry soundtrack? I have been unable to figure it out. I have a very strong idea about who it might be, based on the guy's sound but I am not positive. Does anyone know who Schifrin's go to guy was at the time?

Well I guess I am not suprised no one knows. I have been trying to find an answer to this for some time. Listening to the guy play, I have always wondered if this wasn't an unaccredited performance by Jim Gordon. I know he did a ton of studio work back then and he was the go to guy in Southern California for years. Thoughts?

I love that soundtrack! Arranging it for a small ensemble is one of the projects on my list. Jim Gordon seems like a good guess, along with Emil Richards on percussion. It seems like Joe Porcaro might've been one of the cats at that time also.

Actually someone on the forums helped me figure out who it was. Turns out the drummer is John Guerin. Its funny how much him and a few of those other guys like Gordon sound so much alike. They played on A LOT of the same albums and with a lot of the same artists. For instance, both Guerin and Gordon played on Zappa's Apostrophe.

Other stuff of his to check out would be stuff by LA Express. He also played on the soundtrack to Bird. My personal favorite thing that Guerin played was Pat Williams "Threshold."

Actually someone on the forums helped me figure out who it was. Turns out the drummer is John Guerin. Its funny how much him and a few of those other guys like Gordon sound so much alike. They played on A LOT of the same albums and with a lot of the same artists. For instance, both Guerin and Gordon played on Zappa's Apostrophe.

Other stuff of his to check out would be stuff by LA Express. He also played on the soundtrack to Bird. My personal favorite thing that Guerin played was Pat Williams "Threshold."

Thanks for the excellent detective work on figuring out who that drummer was. I watched DIRTY HARRY for the first time since the 1980s a couple of months ago. After viewing it I had to look up "Scorpio's Theme" to find out who the drummer was. I could not find the answer. Google wasn't very helpful in my search. Very nice work, Callahan.

Yes! Thanks for that. I was trying to remember that name. To me he and Gordon are both the quintessential LA studio guys circa 1971-73.

Hey all... I was told by Brooke Casey (Assistant to Lalo Schifrin) who asked Lalo for me, that the drummer was Larry Bunker. Below is the message I got:
Hi Chris-

I checked with Lalo and he said it was Larry Bunker.

Best regards,

Brooke Casey
Assistant to Lalo Schifrin

I just watched Dirty Harry, hadn't seen it since I was I kid, man I was so impressed by that soundtrack, searched it out.. Came across this thread.. I've been drumming for only a couple yrs now and what a great soundtrack awesomely inspiring! And pretty cool that I now have some names to reference for more drumming inspiration. Thanks for getting this thread going!

Dirty Harry is pretty easily my favorite movie and I have the soundtrack on CD in my car as I type this! For a long time, the actual original score wasn't available, but they finally released it a few years ago and I ordered it directly from Lalo's site a couple years ago. There are few films whose score is as critical to the picture as this one.

For a long time, I wondered if Billy Cobham played drums on it. In fact, the first time I saw the guy who Scorpio pays to beat him up, I did a double-take thinking it might be Billy! (It's not).

Back