Why DW is one of the best forum sites on the webz...

dkerwood

Silver Member
I just joined Harmony Central's forums to ask some guitar effect questions...

Let me tell you, it's chaos. Mods don't moderate, vulgarity everywhere, and all sorts of off topic posts. Just imagine if in the middle of the Cymbals category somebody posted a thread about how eBay now stops the seller from receiving money until the buyer posts feedback, a thread saying how another forum member is a great sound man, a thread asking about great GameCube games...

It's a bloody mess. Plus, the attitude is just so much nicer over here. No "real" flaming of the n00bs, no bombastic personalities trying to make everyone else feel inferior, no elitist attitudes saying that the most expensive gear is the only alternative...

Thanks, DW, for being such a great, friendly, informative site!

I couldn't agree more. I have no complaints about this forum and I actually had to correct someone that I personally know when they were bashing this site. This person would say crap like "what a snobby, snooty bunch they all are" or "they'll eat you alive." I am an active member and this person, whose membership was kicked because they do not actively participate, would only use of this forum is to look at the sets and criticize how some of them have "too many drums" or "the hardware on those DWs are ugly". I have met some friendly and informative folks on here and every post is pleasant. I have seen some mildly heated topics/debates, but nothing vulgar.

Snobby snooty bunch? Is that because every month or so somebody creates a "DW is great" or "thanks Bernhard" thread?

I agree that this site is the most family-friendly drum forum on the web. I am proud, and not concerned, to send my students searching on this website when they have questions. The people are polite, there's no vulgarity, questions are answered (yes, even for the n00bs). It's a feel-good community where we can all talk about the craft we love to talk about. Oh, and thanks to the mods and Bernhard for making/keeping it so. You guys rule!!!

Thank you all for the nice words.

Yes, we are very happy how it flows at the moment and these last times.

So many thanks to DogBreath and Nutha - there is much more work behind the curtains, as someone may believe.

Bernhard

I agree that DW rocks. I don't feel like I have to know everything about drums and drumming in order to participate. I consider myself an intermediate drummer so I've learned a few things, but I'm still learning. Every time I'm on here, I learn something new. I even learn from some of the younger people on here such as DrummerKarl and 805drummer! I've always felt warmly welcomed here whenever I have to leave for an extended period of time so thank you, DW. You don't know what it means for people to remember me and welcome me back. I'm sure I've said this before, but relationships built through music is a beautiful thing.

I agree that DW rocks. I don't feel like I have to know everything about drums and drumming in order to participate. I consider myself an intermediate drummer so I've learned a few things, but I'm still learning. Every time I'm on here, I learn something new. I even learn from some of the younger people on here such as DrummerKarl and 805drummer! I've always felt warmly welcomed here whenever I have to leave for an extended period of time so thank you, DW. You don't know what it means for people to remember me and welcome me back. I'm sure I've said this before, but relationships built through music is a beautiful thing.

I like that I can come in here with a 6 lug beginner set and b8's or a custom built kit and K Customs and receive the same helpful advice and treatment. On that other site, I almost feel bad that I've *only* spent a few grand on my guitar rig...

I posted on another forum because they came here on Drummerworld begging for new members. When I mentioned a book that I liked, I was accused of spamming the forum. I tried to explain myself, but the moderators were worse than the regular members. They banned me and then changed my posts to say all kinds of demeaning things about me. There was vulgarity all over the forum. I actually contacted an attorney to see about getting a cease and desist order since it was clearly defamation of character. The forum no longer exists, but it serves as proof that you have to watch what forums you visit. So I glad to be a member of a reputable site such as Drummerworld.

I'm pretty new over here but I must say that I think this is a very unique forum considering the (already mentioned) polite, classy and respectful way every person or thread is handled. I would like to thank DW and especially all those people who put a lot of time in this forum behind the scenes!

Because we drummers use our heads...

I want to thank all who are involved in making this forum what it is ,I have bin around this internet forum world and bar-nun this is the best out there thanks.

I've been coming here since I was 15, and can undoubtedly say this is the only drum forum that allows the 15-20 crowd an equal say as long as he/she has their act together. Quite often, there are issues in the drum world where there is no ironclad right or wrong, and is deserving of many perspectives where age and experience don't factor in. As someone born into this way of life I understand the musical mentor/ apprentice relationship, and I try to remain respectful of that. But forum culture is supposed to be different. It's an equal playing field, where the slate is wiped clean, primarily because so many do their business as semi anonymous figures capable of reinventing themselves at a drop of a hat, while those of us who use their real names, or are open about who they are, have to tread carefully.

I have visited other forums mostly dominated by older drummers where I could talk like the Dali Lama and still be called an arrogant upstart, who was rude and disrespectful towards his elders, by older drummers who either didn't take the time to actually read my comments, or simply didn't win the debate.

There have been times on other forums, where I questioned the opinion of a well known drummer and was attacked, not for what I wrote, but for not knowing my place. I remember one specific instance where I posted a video, and got a rash/flippant comment from a very famous drummer. Treading as carefully as possible I opened the dialogue by telling him how much I respected him, but could your perspective actually still accept etc etc. Within ten minutes I was wiped out, not by him, but by two falsely protective wing men, who showed up for no other reason than to elevate themselves through association. One of them even tried tried to claim that my use of the word respectfully was insincere. I knew the other guy very well as a struggling 45 year old drummer, who on several ocassions had left troll comments on my youtube account.

Five minutes after that, a very proactive moderator, who is an excellent drummer, but extremely opinionated himself, came on board to proclaim that I had never known my place in the drum world, that my opinions were things I said to elevate myself, that I was defensive, disrespectful, condescending etc, all the while never remotely considering that all the comments leveled in my direction had been all those things and more. I probably showed that alteraction to 20 professional musicians who had never visited a forum in their lives. One of them just laughed and said: They were mad because you were right and they were wrong. Then he googled the phrase passive/aggressive behavior. After that I understood.

Forums are sometimes about the debate as much as anything else. Some can't recognize healthy debate and call it arguing. For many, it's hard for them to accept a younger person's opinion, regardless of its accuracy, while often ignoring the hundreds of times when we willingly accept our errors. People here who have met me in the real world always seem surprised that I'm actually pretty chill. In fact the first thing I always say is Let's not talk about the forums, because I see this stuff as a different world where you exercise different muscles. And unless your comments are just an open flame /a whole other issue/ then it's nothing personal.

When I'm at NAMM for example, I don't want to talk about the Moeller Flame War of 2007. My job there is to network with contacts and sell you a drumstick. I don't take forum culture into every aspect of my life, but you would be surprised at the number of people who do. Not coincidentally most are older guys who still don't get the whole Internet thing because they never grew up with it like we did. And for people like that, you can still love them to death, but they will never understand that you were never really mad or defensive, or how their incorrect perspective had nothing to do with an opinion on a drum forum, that just maybe they got wrong.

When I see the respect given here to MFB, Karl, Britt, Tom G, foursticks and many others from this age range, I know that this is a rare thing on the Internet. And although it doesn't sit well at other places, it seems to work here.

When I see the respect given here to MFB, Karl, Britt, Tom G, foursticks and many others from this age range, I know that this is a rare thing on the Internet. And although it doesn't sit well at other places, it seems to work here.

Man, I don't even see teenagers or older fellas. I just see drummers who may or may not know their stuff. Maybe I disagree with you on something, but that doesn't make your way less authentic or correct. I just like this place because everyone seems to be very supportive, no matter what your opinion or level of skill.

I thought this was going to be about Drum Workshop, but Drummer World Is definitely the DW of Forums...

Or something...

Whatever, DW and DW are the best!!!

I've had nothing but good experiences here, something I can't say for many music sites. I don't know any forum members personally, and don't post much, but I always feel welcome.

And where else would pro drummers just chime in and answer questions for casual drummers & noobs?

it is an amazing website. i have asked many random questions and people help me and dont critisise. i joined a guitar forum but its just pointless because no one helps you. i hope DW stays just how it is.

P.S. i cant spell

Yeah, my story: When I first joined, I was a complete idiot and an ignorant fool, to keep it clean. I've read some of my old posts recently, and man! I was saying/doing the exact opposite of what I recommend now! It's amazing. For example, one of my oldest threads was me showing off a Pearl Export/805 hybrid kit (I'm sure lots of you remember that) with ZBT and PST 3 cymbals, and I thought it looked so cool, just because it was really big. If someone posted that now, I would tell them it was the ugliest piece of crap in the world. But no...you guys were helpful and respectful, and even though I was totally stupid, no one was mean; everyone tried to help me in a nice way, with constructive criticism and such. And I thank you for it, because now I can pass on the gift on knowledge (now it's starting to sound cliche'...) to newer members.

I guess I'm spoiled. DW is the first forum I've ever joined, and it's a daily ritual. Everyday I start my day here with my breakfast. There's a few members here that I particularly look forward to reading their take on things. Caddy comes to mind. MFB, Wave, Steamer, TBMills, Trkdrmr, I miss Jay Norem! TenPastTen, Mattsmith, Deltadrummer, Karl Crafton, Diosdude, 805 drummer, Steady Freddy, Casper "Dr. Powerstroke" Paludin, Big Philly, Crazy+Hands, plus special mention to Bernhard, Nutha Jackson and Dogbreath there's so many more but all these people are topnotch, and because of this forum, I'm that much richer. LONG LIVE DRUMMERWORLD!

Dkerwood, jeffwj Drummerchick435 Monica McCoy I'm sorry I'm probably forgetting more than I'm mentioning.

I forgot Zambizzi, how lame!

Back