I'm joining a jazz ensemble! Can you recommend some renditions to these songs?

beatdat

I'm planning to join a beginner's adult jazz ensemble in several months. These are small 4-5 piece groups with bass, drums and 2 or 3 other instruments (piano, sax, trumpet, etc.), but no vocals as far as I know.

I've been in contact with the band leader, who has provided me with some of the songs that the beginner's class usually plays. The songs are: Autumn Leaves, Blue Bossa, In A Sentimental Mood and Tenor Madness.

Do you recommend any renditions of those songs that would be appropriate for someone beginning to learn jazz? I've looked some of them up, but there are so many renditions that I don't know which to start with.

Thanks.

Try and find Youtube clips of ordinary jazz bands playing the songs. Professional clips tend to be unusual, original renditions of the songs played by virtuoso musicians, which can be daunting and confusing.

For example, here’s a ‘normal’ rendition of Blue Bossa:

https://youtu.be/wCMvzS1zRTI

And Autumn Leaves:

https://youtu.be/b1EsZ5ORIS8

Last edited:
Try and find Youtube clips of ordinary jazz bands playing the songs. Professional clips tend to be unusual, original renditions of the songs played by virtuoso musicians, which can be daunting and confusing.

Hey, thanks a lot, that was very helpful!

You must be better at searching than I am, because if I search for "easy" or "simple" renditions, I get kids' versions of someone showing me how to play the melody on the piano with the right hand. Otherwise I get some band playing it at an unrealistic tempo or with chops that are way beyond my abilities.

For example, here’s a ‘normal’ rendition of Blue Bossa:https://youtu.be/wCMvzS1zRTI

Some nice drumming - tasteful and relatable.

Good piano playing.

What level would you say those renditions are? Beginner, or intermediate?

Have a look at Eric Clapton's version of Autumn Leaves for something a bit more straightforward

I'd also check out College jazz bands for clips as well, since a lot of those standards will be played more as repertoire, so they will be a bit more straight forward without a whole ton of creative liberties.

Have a look at Eric Clapton's version of Autumn Leaves for something a bit more straightforward

I did. Now that sound like a beginner's rendition. Thanks!

Sounds like Eric was channeling a little Leonard Cohen.

I'd also check out College jazz bands for clips as well, since a lot of those standards will be played more as repertoire, so they will be a bit more straight forward without a whole ton of creative liberties.

Good idea. Will do.

Intermediate. Good enough to play at a wedding or hotel.

Good to know, otherwise I'd probably be biting of more than I could chew if I had to play that in a beginners' group. Thanks.

You can download youtube videos with some extensions for your browser. I'd get the most famous versions of each song and create a playlist because the other members will probably also know those versions. Even if you don't play it like the original, it's good to have a common point of reference. A few months is a long time - maybe you'll be able to play some things then that seem too difficult now. :)

Also, finding versions with vocals might help memorizing the melodies so you can play the tunes with more confidence.

Back