First jam tonight. Advice? Tips?

rummy

Hi, DW.
I've been a guitar player for 25 years and I currently play in a cover band. About 7 months ago, I picked up my first drum set and I've been enamored by them. It's been a blast in my basement, but eventually I started itching to play with others. I put out a "beginner drummer looking to jam" ad on Craigslist a month ago, and a group of musicians reached out to me finally today.

I made it very clear that I was new to drumming, and that I had never played drums in a band setting before. They were ok with that as they were in an early stage of putting a band together. We're meeting at a practice spot tonight and I'll be using the house kit. I was told to bring sticks and cymbals.

I am super excited but at the same time, I'm a nervous wreck. If you guys have any words of encouragement, tips or advice, I'd love to hear them.

Random questions.

How do I transport cymbals? I have 2 crashes, 2 hats, and 1 ride, and no cases.

At home, I have a 1 up 2 down setup. Is it rude to mess with house kit? Such as taking off a rack tom, or moving cymbal stands.

I usually practice with Hot rods or 5A sticks, but I have 2Bs as well. Which sticks should I bring for jammy, classic rock type of music?

Do I have to bring a hi hat clutch or is it usually provided?

I use a Yamaha direct kick pedal at home. Would I be ok with whatever house has? I'm assuming it'll be chain.

When those people are nice and 'easy going' there will never be a problem..Musicians are in general very easy people to hang out with..

Also regarding your 'beginner level' of playing drums, no worries, since you told them very clear about what you think your level of playing is..And if they sounded understanding when you told this, then they will also be understanding this evening..

Conclusion, no need to worry or be nervous at all..Just go there and have a blast..

..Is it rude to mess with house kit? Such as taking off a rack tom, or moving cymbal stands..

Not at all..

Be sure to set the drums in a way that makes you feel comfortable, thats allready taking away 80% of all unnecessary stress..

Really, no worries for such things..Just be sure to have a nice time..

Not at all..

Be sure to set the drums in a way that makes you feel comfortable, thats allready taking away 80% of all unnecessary stress..

Really, no worries for such things..Just be sure to have a nice time..

Great. Thanks for that response.

Btw. i read your other questions a little better..

If you want to really be comfortable, then yes, i would advice to bring the clutch (just in case the thing is not there..), the pair of your most favorite sticks to play with, your own bassdrum-pedal and your own throne..

And then you are set..

1. Relax and have fun.
2. PLAY SIMPLY! No need to overplay or try to impress. Find a groove and stay in it.
3. Think....Steve Jordan
4. See #1

Relax. Listen. Don't try to impress with chops. Stay in time, keep it simple, listen. Have fun.

And a drumkey is quite handy too to adjust stands etc..lol..I am getting old..

The checklist should be like this..:

* Own cymbals
* Hihat clutch
* Favorite sticks
* Own bassdrum-pedal
* Own throne
* Drumkey

And all is set..

Thank you gentlemen.

Do you think it'd be weird to show up with a digital metronome and a single earbud? I can ride along in a song if the bass player is solid, but I'm not completely comfortable being in charge of keeping time.

And, you don't want me near your drumset with a tuning key. I'll turn a beautiful set into a ringy mess, haha.

Last edited:
big ears

big eyes

simple grooves

I would bring cymbals , pedal, clutch, and snare ... maybe even a few felts and a washer or two

you never know what "house kit" means ... better to be prepared for the worst

and no do not bring a met ... just play ... that will add unnecessary confusion and complicate things

you have enough on your plate ... just have fun

..And, you don't want me near your drumset with a tuning key. I'll turn a beautiful set into a ringy mess..

No, but if cymbal stands etc have memory-locks, then a drumkey can be quite useful..Thats what i was more thinking about..

I would not advice to try to play with a metronome on a first jam session, unless you and everyone else are very experienced with this..

Otherwise that will most likely turn into a huge mess..

Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to bring the metronome and ear piece, but it's probably not the right environment to bust it out.

Bring everything mentioned. You might not need your seat or pedal, but it's better to have it in the trunk and not need it than not have them if you do. You can scope that out when you're setting up cymbals.

You can fold a blanket around your cymbals in a pinch.

No, but if cymbal stands etc have memory-locks, then a drumkey can be quite useful..Thats what i was more thinking about..

I would not advice to try to play with a metronome on a first jam session, unless you and everyone else are very experienced with this..

Otherwise that will most likely turn into a huge mess..

I see what you mean. Thanks.

big ears

big eyes

simple grooves

I would bring cymbals , pedal, clutch, and snare ... maybe even a few felts and a washer or two

you never know what "house kit" means ... better to be prepared for the worst

and no do not bring a met ... just play ... that will add unnecessary confusion and complicate things

you have enough on your plate ... just have fun

Felts and washers. Didn't even think about that.
Roger on no metronome.

First and foremost: don't slow down! New drummers can get obsessed with hitting everything at the expense of time, but the opposite is better. If it's ba-boom boom tat, but you can only keep time with boom-tat, do that.

Other than that, first rule is have fun, so have fun!

I recommend not messing with the house kit too much. It's better imho to have an attitude that you can sit down to any kit and make it work. Quickly get the stool height & snare height right and you're good to go.

In a pinch, I use a mover's furniture blanket for the cymbals, but any blanket would do. Fold into quarters and put the cymbals between the folds. Just be careful carrying them.

I've found the super cheapo way to move cymbals around is to put them all on your hi hat clutch.

Feel free to move things around when you get there to make yourself comfortable, then common courtesy is to put everything back the way you found it.

Other than that, its all been good advice on this thread. I'd say the 5a's are probably the right call, but I'd bring a couple pairs in case you drop one, or break one. Pay the most attention to the bass player, if you guys lock together, it'll be gravy. Don't overplay!

Back