Drum Recording Challenge...

oneflightup

Hey everyone,

Thought you guys might like to check out another one of my articles on recording drums at the studio..... this time a challenge and a marathon!

25 vintage drum loops to 'recreate'...
4 drum kits
15 microphones
30 hours
1 drummer 1 studio 1 engineer....

http://www.oneflightup.com.au/drum-challenge

So: what do you guys think? Have you ever tried to 'recreate' old drum sounds? Ever had any weird experiences trying to get 'that sound'.... that actually worked?

Nick

Ever had any weird experiences trying to get 'that sound'.... that actually worked?

Nick

I think that the drum sound ought to fit the music you are playing. Case and point: Back in the 1990s there was a band whose drummer was obsessed with John Bonham, so for the studio session, he rented a huge Bonham kit and tried his best to recreate that sound. The results? Well, he got that "big Bonham" sound, but it sounded like crap with the music he was playing at the time.

If people want to try to re-create certain sounds, that's fine and well, but make sure it fits the music you are playing.

So: what do you guys think? Have you ever tried to 'recreate' old drum sounds? Ever had any weird experiences trying to get 'that sound'.... that actually worked?

Sounds like a fun challenge, and yes, I've re-created more than a few sounds, new and old. :)

While it's helpful to use drum gear from the correct era, I'd say it's more essential that the engineer and recording process also be on the same page. Recording, miking techniques, mic properties, and 'rooms' were different prior to the '70s, and indeed have evolved a few times since.

If you want the old sounds, you've got to use the old techniques, and outboard gear, and mics if possible. And the engineer is a key component. Should it surprise anyone that there are 'young' engineers who've never miked a set of drums?? Unless the engineer has been in the business for 40 years, or is VERY savvy and experienced and has a great ear for getting sounds, the result is likely to be less than desirable.

But a drummer who is experienced is also helpful, and will hopefully guide the engineer. For example, I recently recorded a marching track with snare, bass drum and cymbals. How would an engineer mic those drums? Well, certainly the snare gets close-miked, and I assume that the engineer might be clever enough to place the mic just outside of the bass drum, and not inside (hole or not!) Of course neither approach is correct, and it takes an experienced drummer to explain why.

I'd love to hear what you did!

Bermuda

[...]

While it's helpful to use drum gear from the correct era, I'd say it's more essential that the engineer and recording process also be on the same page.

[...]
If you want the old sounds, you've got to use the old techniques, and outboard gear, and mics if possible.

[...]
Bermuda

Very, very good points.

Back