Lasting impressions

drummingman

Gold Member
What are some past or present albums that have had or are having a lasting impact on your drumming, musical taste and development and overall enjoyment of music?

Some of mine, in no particular order, are:
Extol-Undeceived
Living Sacrifice-The Hammering Process
Metallica-And Justice for All
He Is Legend-It Hates You
Faith No More-Angel Dust
Anthrax-The Persistence Of Time
Megadeth-Rust In Peace
Zao-Self titled
Tears For Fears-Best Of
Depeche Mode-Violator
Fear Factory-Obsolete
Cannibal Corpse-The Bleeding
Pantera-vulgar Display Of Power
Deftones-Around The Fur
Dream Theater-Awake
Fates Warning-Inside Out
Paw-Dragline
Judas Priest-Screaming For Vengeance
Tourniquet-Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance

These are just a few that have made, and are still making, a lasting impact on me. Feel free to talk about the drumming, music, etc on any of the albums on my list and everybody else's list!

Sabbath... after listening to death metal and such in the early 80's.. i heard sabbath and it blew my mind.. started playing guitar and still have the same 74 SG i got in 88.. love it to death.

As for drumming though.. no idea.. i have always tapped on stuff and played air drums with songs.. seeing Gavin Harrison on letterman last year though made me finally just do it.. and i wish i had never seen a guitar. i love the drums sooo much more :)

The sad part is.. i can play sabbath on guitar all day easy enough.. can't play much of them on drums.. but one day :)

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

There's been lots since and a few before, but that's the album that made me a metalhead. From first listen, not a single track let me down, and I didn't even know what metal was; it was just the perfect music for me. For a few months, I would come home from school every day and sit and listen to it.

As soon as I got my first crappy kit, I made double bass a priority, and I made sure to incorporate triplets into my playing. I learned to groove, too.

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

There's been lots since and a few before, but that's the album that made me a metalhead. From first listen, not a single track let me down, and I didn't even know what metal was; it was just the perfect music for me. For a few months, I would come home from school every day and sit and listen to it.

As soon as I got my first crappy kit, I made double bass a priority, and I made sure to incorporate triplets into my playing. I learned to groove, too.
Cowboys is a killer album. Thats the first album I heard from Pantera and it made an impression on me immediately.

The Police, Outlandos d'Amour, what a drumming revalation. Bought my first kit a week later, two months after that, my first gig. The rest, as they say, is not history.

Rush: 2112, Farewell to Kings
Blackfoot: Flying High, No Reservation
Kansas: Leftoverture
Dream Theater: Images and Words

The Police, Outlandos d'Amour, what a drumming revalation. Bought my first kit a week later, two months after that, my first gig. The rest, as they say, is not history.

same thoughts here...i love that raw drum sound and the raw fills....rest of their albums have kind of a Piccollo sound.

same thoughts here...i love that raw drum sound and the raw fills....rest of their albums have kind of a Piccollo sound.

Agreed. I saw them live in a small venue just after the album was released and they were superb, so much energy. Copelands style, energy and odd acent placement just blew me away, I thought "I have to get back into drumming".

His playing on the night was pure enjoyment and abandon, none of the sterile, metronomic, going through the motions, formula drumming I have seen from a lot of drummers at recent gigs.

Agreed. I saw them live in a small venue just after the album was released and they were superb, so much energy. Copelands style, energy and odd acent placement just blew me away, I thought "I have to get back into drumming".

His playing on the night was pure enjoyment and abandon, none of the sterile, metronomic, going through the motions, formula drumming I have seen from a lot of drummers at recent gigs.

I have picked up and quit drums in various phases of my life, but for me two major periods were:

1) in my early teens

- Rush Moving Pictures
- Van Halen (all)
- Buddy Rich (all)

2) Several years ago after a 15-year hiatus

- Billy Cobham (all)
- Phil Collins esp. Genesis era stuff
- This guy especially. Shows that drums can be fun and funny too. It's really what inspired me to start playing again.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeKEhzK7FCs

when i fist started playing ('96) was
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
Rage Against the Machine - S/T
Pantera - Official Live (I still listen to this one regularly)

the last few years has been
The city champs - The Setup (with george sluppick on drums)
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
and a Melvins compilation a friend made for me. (Dale Crover crushes it!)

Back