Teeth Drumming

SanderSoft

OK, OK... I know it sounds weird, but I have been drumming with my teeth, since I was a little kid. It helps while I play... kind of an internal metronome....
Just google "teeth drumming".... I'm not alone.
I noticed that if I put an earplug in my ear, I'm able to hear the bass and snare sounds much better. Anyone out there have any idea how I could possibly record this sound, or possibly mike my earplug up, to play this sound thru an amp?
Thanks!
:)

OK, OK... I know it sounds weird, but I have been drumming with my teeth, since I was a little kid. It helps while I play... kind of an internal metronome....
Just google "teeth drumming".... I'm not alone.
I noticed that if I put an earplug in my ear, I'm able to hear the bass and snare sounds much better. Anyone out there have any idea how I could possibly record this sound, or possibly mike my earplug up, to play this sound thru an amp?
Thanks!
:)

Please stop doing this... it's not healthy for your teeth at all.

Yeah Larry, I do the same thing ! I'm a pretty good teeth drummer.
( Except I don't do it while I'm playing drums. )

I wonder when Guitar Center will have their first teeth drum competition?

Hey Larry, I challenge you to a teeth drum-off !

It's probably common. I've been doing it forever.

Triplet rolls are easy :) Paradiddles are easy, but not very fast.

Heh heh. Spell check on this site doesn't recognize paradiddle and puts the red line under it.

I notice that I will sometime count with my teeth during pauses.

Please stop doing this... it's not healthy for your teeth at all.
This from a guy named Winegums? ; )
Actually Mr Gums has a point. I think we've all done this before at some point but it can lead to enamel wear if done excessively.

I used to do this all the time when I was very little, long before getting actual drums. It was almost some sort of nervous tick and I remember doing it a lot while trying to fall asleep. Eventually I made a conscious effort to stop doing it since I thought it was weird and I thought it might be bad for my teeth.

Earplugs let certain frequencies through better than others. Record your drums with a good mic close to your head (not your drum head.) Try equalizing out a bunch of the high end, like a low pass filter that's not too steep starting maybe around 1k...play around with the frequency. Listen to it through some decent headphones and turn it up a bit and it should sound like you're behind your kit.

A real drumkit in most rooms usually sounds trashy and fatiguing because the mids and highs are out of control. Small space plus drywall plus a bunch of right angles equals a really garbagey room vibe. A super scooped, bassy, "earplug" kit sound would probably sound weird in a typical musical mix since you're losing all the good high end with the bad. But for practicing in a normal room, I think my kit sounds "better" with earmuffs/earplugs than without.

Back