I was wrong.

Andy

Honorary Member
This is not attention grabbing, actually, for me, it's quite embarrassing. I almost never reverse a decision. I don't make frivolous changes of stance in my life, but sometimes, evidence comes into play that changes things. This is one of those mornings.

I don't want this to be a thread that resorts to personal references. One sniff of that & I'll have it closed. Even those with a counter opinion to mine openly said they didn't want me to modify my behaviour. This is down to me, not them.

Over the weekend, I've received many messages to add to those already posted. Lots of personal emails too, too many to number actually. The ground swelling of opinion is overwhelming, but that's not enough to take me away from a decision based on adherence to my personal principals. What's really changed my mind are a number of emails from other builders & industry insiders. People respecting my decision, but telling me they're now going to modify how they interface with the forum. Me changing what I do is one thing, the forum can take that & move on, but a whole sector that adds flavour going missing from this fine forum is another thing entirely. The last thing I want is for others to slowly drain this place of information that many find useful, but a few don't.

Ok, builders/designers/manufacturers can always put up details of new stuff on their website, or advertisements, but that doesn't afford the kind of grass roots interaction you get on a forum. On a forum, you can ask questions - sometimes brutal ones, or refute claims. These are valuable levellers to all concerned. You could possibly run a dedicated forum on your company site for that, but as it's likely limited mainly to fans of the brand, it's nothing more than ego stroking most of the time.

I'm not suggesting a free for all approach to brazen punting of new products on the forum, you know, new finishes, latest sizes, normal range tweaking stuff, but when a builder has something new of note, I think that adds immensely to the mix here, & that direct connection has strong value.

So, manufacturers, builders, other industry insiders - bring it on! Give this place an early heads up on new thinking & cool stuff. Context is everything, & if it's too much, or with no value outside of commercial interest, I'm sure Bernhard & the mods will make their feelings known.

Andy's back, & if you don't like it ------------------

BTW, you can't buy this kit, so it's not being advertised It's what got me started on all this, so fitting that it makes an appearance here again :)

Attachments

• guru 4 piece.jpg
    guru 4 piece.jpg
    840.3 KB · Views: 899
Good choice. I like seeing your drums and having your input here.

It's great to have you back the way you were, your knowledge and your sharing of it is a huge asset to this forum and a part of you that we all love. Thanks (big smiley face).

And you weren't wrong, just incredibly considerate.

All is right with the world again!!

This has made my day.

Andy, if anything positive is to come out of this entire debacle, hopefully It's that you can now speak freely about all things Guru without second-guessing yourself about giving anyone the "hard sell".
And the people rejoiced : )

And we've come full circle....now it's complete :). Welcome back!

Excellent choice, feels great to have you back Andy .

My,my is that the grandmother/father of all Guru Kits ? I sense it's really dense and heavy, it looks aged too or perhaps it's just my Monday Blues playing tricks again .

ahhhhh ... lovely. It is early here, but so far on this Monday AM:
1) A good cuppa Java
2) A decent sunny, cold December day
3) A pic of a hitherto unseen (by me) Guru kit on DW

Seems the world is spinning the right way again. Thx Andy!

best,
radman

Damn! oh well, Im going to have to locate that ignore button one of these days.

BTW, that damn kit is the one that started it all for me, I miss that one.

Good choice.
:)
It's great to have you back the way you were
What was your desicion in the first place? I think I missed that.
A good thing to miss out on my Alpine friend.

Get in there my son!
Haven't heard that in a while :)

All is right with the world again!!
Mostly Jeff :)

This has made my day.

Andy, if anything positive is to come out of this entire debacle, hopefully It's that you can now speak freely about all things Guru without second-guessing yourself about giving anyone the "hard sell".
A very good point, & quite a relief. That said, my earlier decision was also a relief in some ways, but disappointing.

Welcome back!

My,my is that the grandmother/father of all Guru Kits ? I sense it's really dense and heavy, it looks aged too or perhaps it's just my Monday Blues playing tricks again .
Yes, the Genesis kit. Not heavy or aged. 3mm thick suspended stave shells made from 300 year old mahogany. Natural wax finish.

A pic of a hitherto unseen (by me) Guru kit on DW
Old is new again. Today is a new day, a new start, as represented by the kit that started it all off.

Damn! oh well, Im going to have to locate that ignore button one of these days.
"I will taunt you with chimes for a second time!"

"BTW, you can't buy this kit, so it's not being advertised It's what got me started on all this, so fitting that it makes an appearance here again :) .."

But can I buy your lovely property? I love the Guru stuff as much for the beautiful outdoor photos almost as much as for the drums.

Welcome back.

p.s. Unless this was some grand marketing scheme by Andy and he had us fooled all along. Maybe Shemp is Andy?? lol

It is not that often that you get exposed to someone so universally appreciated as you Andy. I am still fairly new but one big benefit of this is that I will be paying much closer attention to your posts, and I will be better for it. I applaud your most recent decision.

You're one heck of a guy, great to have you back to share your passion with us. You have set a great example for us all throughout all of this!

Back