Audition Sunday.......

AZStickman

I've been on a hiatus from playing live for about 7 years. Just been practicing and playing along to my I-pod tunes. This forum actually ignited the fire to get out playing live again. Finally found a band starting up that has the same musical tastes and goals I do. I am set to audition tomorrow. Been working on the audition song list for the last two weeks and am ready to go.

It's crazy but after over 40 years of playing I still get the butterflies before a performance. I know though that if I've done my part, and put in the work to master the songs, they go away when I count off the first song and hit that first note,,,,,,,, Wish me luck!!.... Terry

I've been on a hiatus from playing live for about 7 years. Just been practicing and playing along to my I-pod tunes. This forum actually ignited the fire to get out playing live again. Finally found a band starting up that has the same musical tastes and goals I do. I am set to audition tomorrow. Been working on the audition song list for the last two weeks and am ready to go.

It's crazy but after over 40 years of playing I still get the butterflies before a performance. I know though that if I've done my part, and put in the work to master the songs, they go away when I count off the first song and hit that first note,,,,,,,, Wish me luck!!.... Terry

Best of luck mate.
I've never auditioned for a band...the idea scares the living daylights out of me.

Good luck, Terry. It is understandable to get some butterflies at an audition, but just look at it as "playing" as opposed to being evaluated. Those 40 years you have behind you will come shining through.

Squad Leader - The audition is the price I'm paying for taking a break. When you are active a gigging people see you and opportunities flow your way.

Thanks Taye - Dyed........ Sound advice there. I will follow it!

Terry

Good luck with your audition. You and I took a similar break. Glad to see someone else is rediscovering their calling.

Thanks guys...... Just finished up my final practice session and It's as good as it's gonna get..... :) I'm looking forward to playing with live musicians!!........ Terry

Well.....I had the audition yesterday. The band is being formed by a husband and wife team of vocalists. She leans to the mellower side and he is more of a rocker so there was quite a mix of song dynamics. There were three of us being auditioned; a lead guitar player, a bass player, and me on the drums. The lead guitar player was really weak but the bass player and myself held things together. I thought it all went well. My hard work payed off and I knew the songs better that the other two auditionees. I played well and put my best foot forward so no regrets. We'll see what happens...... Terry

At least you had a tight bassplayer. I auditioned for a band the other week with a bassist who I know. Third practice is booked for later this week. Glad it went well and let us know their response!

Well.....I had the audition yesterday. The band is being formed by a husband and wife team of vocalists. She leans to the mellower side and he is more of a rocker so there was quite a mix of song dynamics. There were three of us being auditioned; a lead guitar player, a bass player, and me on the drums. The lead guitar player was really weak but the bass player and myself held things together. I thought it all went well. My hard work payed off and I knew the songs better that the other two auditionees. I played well and put my best foot forward so no regrets. We'll see what happens...... Terry

congrats on the solid audition............hopefully it works out for you.

Well, I made the cut...... Let the fun begin....... :) ..... Terry

Congratulations! I am still looking for the right band to join. Sure is tough. Either I think they stink, they are to far away, or they are 12 and want to play some variation of metal, not theat there is anything wrong with that! :)

Enjoy yourself!

Congratulations! I am still looking for the right band to join. Sure is tough. Either I think they stink, they are to far away, or they are 12 and want to play some variation of metal, not theat there is anything wrong with that! :)

Enjoy yourself!

It is tough for sure. I went through the Craigslist list thing. Hit the local jam nights etc with no luck. What wound up working for me was placing my profile on Bandmix.com. I had my profile initially showing that I was looking for a band and got quite a few "odd" opportunities floated to me including a cello / keyboard duet who had some interesting eclectic originals. I liked the challenge of playing to something that didn't center around the money beat, but they call it the money beat for a reason :). When I changed my profile status to "not looking" I was contacted by the band I will be playing with.

Good luck to you both Acidline and Squad Leader. I look forward to seeing you both land projects!........ Terry

Yep I am on bandmix too. making some contacts, Had a jam a few weeks ago but of the 4 musicians that joined me I was only interested in one of them. I have been offered about 5 auditions in the last 6 months. One I went to but did not get a call back, though I am ok with it since their practice spot was very far away. The others I either had a chance to see them live or hear their recordings on facebook or reverbnation only to decline the invitation to the audition.

Trying to be patient and wait for the right opportunity but I want to get it going. Fortunately I was able to handle a gig subbing for someone. Never met the guys before the event. The drummer sent me a song list, I prepped and pulled it off! Fun stuff.

Back