After playing my new accustic kit for the first time, I get it.

My ekit will still be very useful as a practice platform for inconvenient hours....

These are the things that hit me in the face like a freight train when I first played my accustic kit this Tuesday:

1) Volume control: on the ekit they try to emulate dynamics with how hard you hit the pads, but after a while, it all sounds very uniform, and after a certain force, the pads respond the same. I got used to hitting the pads that way and getting a consistent sound out of them. When I played the accustic for the fisrt time (and all times after that) I was shocked to realize I have very little control of the bass drum volume specifically. If I try to play double notes, it is a lot harder to get them to sound close in volume.

2) It doesn't take much to get a sound out of things: specifically ghost notes on the snare. on the eKit sometimes a little tap won't trigger, so I got used to just hitting the snare normally for ghost notes. On the acccustic, the littlest touch on the snare will produce a nice grace / ghost note, which means the way I am used to do it produces an exagerated ghost note, which is not "ghost" by any means anymore.

3) I can't quite explain this one. When I play on the accustic, it's easier for me to be on time. I don't know why. It's almost as I can feel the sounds coming at me faster, more immediatelly. On the ekit, I feel now the sounds come at me differently, from a different directon, it makes me feel like sometimes the sounds hit my ears a little late. I know it's my imagination, and I can't explain this one.

4) I feel the accustic kit in my chest! This is the best. Even with my Etymotics ear monitors on, I feel the beats in my chest. When I play on time and I start to groove (which is not often for a 6 months beginner), the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and I get over excited, and fall off time again due to my own excitement and head bobbing :D
This is where the excessive fun gets in the way of doing things right.

5) My dogs don't hang out with me anymore. After work I used to get home and practice on my ekit with my dogs laying on my feet, you know, us three chillin' in the "man cave" as the wife calls it. Now my dogs go hide in the bedroom when I play it. That's the only down side of the accustics so far for me! ;)

Just about "any time" would be an appropriate time .....

Well, I didn't want to sound insulting or anything. It's like the phrase, "nobody wants to listen to the 800-pound gorilla in the room... ;)"

Glad you made the realization. I don't think I could ever play anything electronic again. I tried to teach my self my dynamic range was limited to 0-127, but that was foolish. My dynamic range is too wide for that MIDI-thinking!

I have both at home set up and the only time I play the ekit is when someones home.. Its a Roland and I love it, and it sounds awesome...but its not the real thing...I would prefer just my bass hi hat and supra to playing the whole ekit..

My ekit will still be very useful as a practice platform for inconvenient hours....

These are the things that hit me in the face like a freight train when I first played my accustic kit this Tuesday:

1) Volume control: on the ekit they try to emulate dynamics with how hard you hit the pads, but after a while, it all sounds very uniform, and after a certain force, the pads respond the same. I got used to hitting the pads that way and getting a consistent sound out of them. When I played the accustic for the fisrt time (and all times after that) I was shocked to realize I have very little control of the bass drum volume specifically. If I try to play double notes, it is a lot harder to get them to sound close in volume.

2) It doesn't take much to get a sound out of things: specifically ghost notes on the snare. on the eKit sometimes a little tap won't trigger, so I got used to just hitting the snare normally for ghost notes. On the acccustic, the littlest touch on the snare will produce a nice grace / ghost note, which means the way I am used to do it produces an exagerated ghost note, which is not "ghost" by any means anymore.

3) I can't quite explain this one. When I play on the accustic, it's easier for me to be on time. I don't know why. It's almost as I can feel the sounds coming at me faster, more immediatelly. On the ekit, I feel now the sounds come at me differently, from a different directon, it makes me feel like sometimes the sounds hit my ears a little late. I know it's my imagination, and I can't explain this one.

4) I feel the accustic kit in my chest! This is the best. Even with my Etymotics ear monitors on, I feel the beats in my chest. When I play on time and I start to groove (which is not often for a 6 months beginner), the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and I get over excited, and fall off time again due to my own excitement and head bobbing :D
This is where the excessive fun gets in the way of doing things right.

5) My dogs don't hang out with me anymore. After work I used to get home and practice on my ekit with my dogs laying on my feet, you know, us three chillin' in the "man cave" as the wife calls it. Now my dogs go hide in the bedroom when I play it. That's the only down side of the accustics so far for me! ;)

I couldn't have written that any better. Excellent evaluation, and right on target!

You can entertain the general public, and slam out weddings or bar gigs, on your E kits if you like. But every time I hear one, I think this just sounds awful. I go to the NAMM shows and I hear all the latest, and I'm never too impressed. I can understand a drunk person who wants to dance to "I Will Survive" not knowing the difference. But any drummer, imho, should be insulted by them.

I heard a guy take a drum solo on an octapad or some such, lol. I mean, come on.

Guess I have an opinion, eh? :)
Congratulations Haroldo, your kit looks sweet.

Back