Help with jazz solo

Music is Awesome

Can someone please help me?

I've got to pretend to be a drummer from the Harlem Renaissance and play a 1min solo for history class on friday.

While 1min doesn't seem like a long time it is when you know almost nothing about swing and are only playing with a snare, kick, and ride.

Can someone show me some swing beats and fills or just something cool to do during my solo?

Thanks

So...you over-committed yourself in your assignment, huh? Hee hee. Live and learn...

well yes and no. I went from only playing "It Don't Mean a Thing" with a sax player to also playing a solo except i wasn't actually told I was suppose to play a solo till yesterday.

Background: My history class has to do a presentation on the HR and so "we" decided to do scene. We are going to be at the Cotton Club and are going to be diffrent people, such as, Duke Ellington, Langston Hughes, and Billie Holiday.

Thanks for the suggestions Bo and caddy. I'm going to look them up before I go to sleep so I have something to practice tomarrow.

that is a short turnaround time ! what about copping some of the licks from Steve Smith's "history of the us beat" ? start w/ dixieland & end up tony williams. heh.

So both my solo and the song went over well.

I got a few compliments here and there which i really wasn't expecting because I thought my solo was bad but whatever if the audience liked it I guess that's all that matters.

Back