My Worst Nightmare

I can usually pack away the sticks and pies while the guitar players are putting their axes in their cases. Then I have to wait for the rest of the front line to clear out so I might help things along. But the kit is bare toms and stands by that time.

100% agree. I never share my cymbals. I wouldn't share them with anyone, even ginger baker or mitch mitchell (ok maybe mitch could have a little play). But the sentiment remains, there is no piece of my drum kit that is more valuable than my cymbals

It's rare that I ever have to share anything, but in the days when I did. My snare, cymbals and Kick pedal were never shared. I couldn't care less what other drummers would think of me for not letting them borrow them. My Elizabeths paid for them not theirs.

On topic, I guess the worst thing I've had happen, is a few drunk ladies where invited onstage to sing backing vocals for a cover. Although upon taking the mic, one of them decided to scream for as long and as loudly as she could.

That's sounded pretty horrid, Luke ... and Neil ... whoa! lol

I can usually pack away the sticks and pies while the guitar players are putting their axes in their cases. Then I have to wait for the rest of the front line to clear out so I might help things along. But the kit is bare toms and stands by that time.

I like your strategy, although - depending on whether you're on stage or ground level - it could mean you have to carry the cymbal bag around with you so there isn't a nice, convenient package for someone to stroll away with.

I've only just recently got some new expensive cymbals and so, in church, I always pack them away and leave the "church" cymbals up. There is only one other drummer at church - who is super light player and a kid, who I would trust with my cymbals.

Davo

Case and point as to why you should have a good kit and a "roadhouse" kit.

Yeah I've had a couple of similar experiences.

One was at a gig where I had played 2 sets that day and it was my kit, I chose not to use my M Birch for that show since other bands would be using it so I took my old CB down.

After I had finished playing, a drunken tit proceeded to sit down, pick up the sticks and bash away on them. Well I couldn't really do anything cause this guy is a nutter, so me and a mate proceeded to dismantle the kit and take it away piece by piece from him so he had nothing to hit. It was quite funny in a way as he was left sitting on the throne looking disappointed.

As for breakables I had a gig where I had to lend another drummer's cymbal stands otherwise I wouldn't have been able to play and he asked if he could borrow my brand new Z custom 18' medium crash. I was reluctant but I like to return favours for drummers who are nice enough to lend their gear out. I just told him to be careful using it and he said he would replace it if he broke it and he seemed a genuine guy. Well this guy was a heavy hitter and I didn't know, he placed my crash on the right where he crashed it more that his own cymbal by a country mile, playing long streams of quarter notes on it not exactly going easy. So after a few songs I stepped up and I said mate would you mind swapping your cymbals around and he took it fine but I'm pleased I said something at the end of the day cause it could have easily broke I reckon.

I did have an unfortunate incident where I had my kit the CB again with its stock bass drum head on it. The guy in the first band wasn't really a heavy hitter and he put his foot through the bass drum skin, he was very apologetic and I let him off with it cause I was on next it would have most certainly happened to me if not him so I gave him the benefit of the doubt, I managed to tape the thing back together and us plus a heavy hitting death metal drummer managed to get our sets done.

I always specify to other drummers to bring their own stool, cymbals, snare and pedals but when they don't turn up with one or the other and ask, I feel I'm too soft to say no, it really boils my p*** but if I say no, the band can't play so does this seem unreasonable or am I well within my right to stop a band from playing because they haven't brought one piece of equipment that I have specified?

I knew there was a reason why I don't go.....the preservation of my kit far outweighs the preservation of my soul. :)

Quote of the year!

I want to invent a pair of electrified drumsticks where when you hit a cymbal, you close a circuit and the guy gets shocked. Leave them up there. Or put a bear trap near the footpedal.

Or possibly a drumhead with a saying printed on it, nice and big...

Any unauthorized use of the drumkit subjects the violater to being beaten to a bloody pulp by the owner.

To thwart car theft, I always wanted to put a beartrap near the gas pedal, chained to the frame of the car. Anyone trying to steal your car would be trapped there, so justice could be dispensed immediately, pain would be endured for his transgression, and the perp would be caught red handed.

I think anyone who steals from another, forfeits any of their own rights the second they violate yours, and things like beartraps near gas pedals should be allowed.

Quote of the year!

I want to invent a pair of electrified drumsticks where when you hit a cymbal, you close a circuit and the guy gets shocked. Leave them up there. Or put a bear trap near the footpedal.

Or possibly a drumhead with a saying printed on it, nice and big...

Any unauthorized use of the drumkit subjects the violater to being beaten to a bloody pulp by the owner.

To thwart car theft, I always wanted to put a beartrap near the gas pedal, chained to the frame of the car. Anyone trying to steal your car would be trapped there, so justice could be dispensed immediately, pain would be endured for his transgression, and the perp would be caught red handed.

I think anyone who steals from another, forfeits any of their own rights the second they violate yours, and things like beartraps near gas pedals should be allowed.

Mate, just get a 6ft 2 400lb firefighter as your lead singer...
Does the trick for me!!!

It's rare that I ever have to share anything, but in the days when I did. My snare, cymbals and Kick pedal were never shared. I couldn't care less what other drummers would think of me for not letting them borrow them. My Elizabeths paid for them not theirs.

"your elizabeths", will have to use that term from now on haha. yeah I don't really share snares anymore, but I had no problem with it in the past. I had a steel black panther that I would use for gigs, if anyone broke a head they would pay for it, but I always had a spare with me just incase. Forgot about my kick pedals, yeah I definitely wouldn't be sharing those beauties either.

I once played drums at an IFES conference in the Netherlands, so that's about 5 days of at least 3 hours of drumming per day (which is awesome). One time, when I was having lunch, I suddenly heard someone beating my bassdrum, so I got up angrily and ran over there. But it turned out to be one of the sound techs wanting to correct the sound. Fine with me.

Eventually, unless you get a Travis Barker wannabe (or travis himself for that matter, but that's less likely) your drums will probably be fine. But out of respect you shouldn't just sit down behind a random drum kit and start bashing.

During that same conference, during the thank-yous for all volunteers and staff, two guys apparently had some kind of bet running. Either way, they just jumped each other in a violent manner (although it was a friendly brawl) in the middle of the stage, with my kit, and some other quite expensive instruments (among others a Taylor acoustic guitar) nearby. Idiots. We were lucky nothing broke and they quit before any damage happened.

I like your strategy, although - depending on whether you're on stage or ground level - it could mean you have to carry the cymbal bag around with you so there isn't a nice, convenient package for someone to stroll away with.

I just put them against the wall behind the kit. Most drunks don't know what a stick bag is. And if I'm packing up PA (more often than not) out front, it will take someone awhile to wander behind the kit, find the sticks and get them out and start playing InnaGadadaVida. Long before that happens, I've spotted them and chased them out of there.

As much as possible, on low or floor level "stages" you want a buffer zone around you and your stuff. PA wedges are wonderful. Set them so that when (not it) a drunk trips over them, there is enough room for them to land before knocking over your cymbal stands. During breaks, guitars also go behind the drum kit unless there are some other protected corners to hide them in. So the first line of defense is the PA, then the guitarists' pedal boards, then the backline (amps and kit) and the important stuff is all behind that. Breakdown is from the middle out, so that the front buffer is one of the last things to go. Take down the electronics, wrap up all the cables, move out the mains, and then pull the wedges.

I would have said: "Get off my drums now...or I will hit you like you hit my drums"....then smile at him!

Its amazing, but there was no damage to anything, except a couple dents on the tom heads. To be honest, I'm a tiny bit glad in a way, because now I have a MUCH higher level of confidence in the durability of my cymbals. I could have sworn that they would all have bell cracks, but they were all fine! Even my splash!

Let me clarify a little, because I usually do always take the sticks off the set. This was a church gig, and I had to switch out with another drummer for a couple songs. This other drummer was a girl, and she knew what she was doing enough that I trusted her to play my stuff. She didn't hit too hard, and was just generally being careful. However, this big dude was on stage playing some hand percussion, and he sorta went over to the drum set and butted in on her. I don't think she knew how to handle it, and he's a pretty intimidating looking guy. All in all, it was sort of a weird situation... haha

I immediately ran up to the side of the stage and started yelling at him to not hit so hard, and thank God he did. As soon as they finished their song I started tearing down, lol.

This annoys me. I have been playing in various church settings for 12 years now, and whenever there's some sort of 'band line-up' thing, it's often 'expected' that you will let others use your stuff because its a church, and be kind and share, ect. At least, thats in my experience.

I've had enough guys stomp over and bash my kit without care, and then walk away. Some of them even rock up with nothing, not even sticks, and then I get all these eyes expecting me to say 'here, use all my stuff'. Now I just say no. People might think I'm selfish, but at least I don't have to buy new sticks and heads because somebody else bashed them up.

Back